Tauranga Taupo

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tauranga Taupo
    Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 3:56pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was lucky enough to spend last Friday morning on the TT before it started raining. The river had good flow and plenty of fish. I spotted a few other groups (and one of nine people!) heading upriver from the old crescent pool - so I fished downriver from the crescent. 

Hooked 12 and landed 8 rainbows - all of decent size with plenty of fight. Cadillacs and green tungsten bead hair and copper worked best. I was using a size 14 hook with a narrow bend - which I think was the reason for dropping 4 of the fish, when I changed to a wider bend hook the landing rate improved (and I was a bit rusty).

Most of the fish were fresh to the river and between 40 - 45cm with good condition, a few coloured up jacks. Plenty of fight and aerial antics. I kept two of the fresh fish for the smoker. Probably one of the best sessions on the river for a couple of seasons.

"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 3:57pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used to fish the TT regularly from 1990 to 2008 until I had several trips to N hemisphere and never renewed my licence....then just never bothered again.
In later years, I used to ring Environment Waikato and get water level readings after a flood and knew when it was safe to cross and still be a bit murky - my catch rate improved hugely....less trips but way more fish. Best day was 30+ hooked with 2 double hooks - one on bomb and the other globug.

When I hear your report👍 makes me want to fish Taupo again.
PS - always used either 10 or 12 size hooks depending on clarity
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 12:52pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I constantly look at the water readings on the  waikato website. Ideal level for me is around .5 metres.
"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 5:27pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

About 4 or 5 days after a good flood...a bit less for a smaller flood. Should check on my home made (pre-Excel) graphs.

I like to fish a King Country stream which is fast flowing and rocky and even a 300mm can make the difference between a day's upstream fishing comfortably or a tiring and challenging day!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken