sliders set up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sliders set up
    Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 9:19am
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

looking at kaos rods and and wondering do you get the 2 piece  3-7kg or the 1 piece 6-10 kg.....and how do people find the sliders 
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 9:44am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Son uses them off the rocks
He started to have a play after seeing a couple NZ guys with a U tube channel (clothing brand I think.)
 We where off a rock on southern Manukau head a few months ago and they where also there...
Filled in a couple tips for the son.

I dont think he uses them off west coast beach thu (??) he fishes well anyway.. catch and release off the beach most times out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 9:46am
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers what gear does he use please and for me would be off a boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 10:54am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cosmo cosmo wrote:

looking at kaos rods and and wondering do you get the 2 piece  3-7kg or the 1 piece 6-10 kg.....and how do people find the sliders 

Either option is good Cosmo depending if you will fish light or medium, maybe one of each with the medium outfit suiting deeper water.

I rate and enjoy sliders they are the ultimate lazy man's lure, drop to the bottom, wind up half a meter and let Mr Rodney Rodholder do the work.LOL

The idea being that the head drops down, sliding down the 1.5-2m trace with the little squidlike tail swimming down above it, that is what attracts the fish, the little swimming tails, when it gets to the bottom and you put your reel in gear and take up the slack to feel the weight then the tail slides to meet the head. Work it really gently, hence slow jigging, slow lift and slow half a turn on the reel, pause, wait, repeat and so on. The little skirt has a great swimming action that mimics squid tentacles, sometime prawn like and when bounced along the bottom kicking up sand/mud clouds mimicking a cuttlefish, that can be great for Gurnard.

If you know there are fish on the bottom but not really biting just put a couple of small slivers of squid on. Some days these will outfish softies. Some people believe orange and pink to be the best colours, but in reality they all work, some better then others like the ones with UV colouring in the skirts. Buy a UV torch also to charge them up on dull days.

Our very own Capt Kaveman on the forum sells a good range, check out his suggestions and offerings. Kabura is the Japanese name for sliders.

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 2:35pm
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would use over head reels, small bait casters, get a good retrieve, Daiwa Lexa are good, try and get good pe line like .8 use 16lb fluro, get a rod with a soft tip there’s plenty of gear that doesnt cost a lot.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 3:16pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers guys was recommended by a mate on here a kaos rod which is what i will be getting and a Tranx reel , very xcited now 
might have to clean up some of my old gear anyone want a TLD25 and rod  been out maybe 2 in the last 10yrs LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ofthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 7:50pm
ofthesea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

In the winter I found the sliders no longer as effective as in summer. You need to try everything to see what's working on the day, various baits, soft bait etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 9:27pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thank you yes will still be taking out the old bait set up and poppers the only one that never worked for me was the sp s
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 8:13am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Son uses them off the rocks
He started to have a play after seeing a couple NZ guys with a U tube channel (clothing brand I think.)
 We where off a rock on southern Manukau head a few months ago and they where also there...
Filled in a couple tips for the son.

I dont think he uses them off west coast beach thu (??) he fishes well anyway.. catch and release off the beach most times out.

I think he means Kabura style sliding lures, and maybe you're referring to Slidebaiting? Because using a slider off the shore would be, erm, challenging.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 9:22am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Uses the slider rig for live baits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 10:02am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Uses the slider rig for live baits.

Yeah, that's slidebaiting, completely different thing.

"Sliders" are Kabura-style slow jigs where the weighted lure head can slide freely up the mainline.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 11:23am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK ..Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 12:09pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You should give it a whirl some time, you fish on the drift a fair bit? A slider fished from a rod-holder a meter off the bottom is surprisingly effective, especially if there's just a little bit of wave action.