Sounder Expectations.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HuntGatherRepeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sounder Expectations.....
    Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 7:29pm
HuntGatherRepeat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Is anyone else running a Simrad Evo3 with a 265LH behind it? Curious how others have their transducers set and what kind of bottom imaging you're getting.

I have a 7m glass boat with the ducer set to starboard side. Originally tried flush with hull at the mid point but lost bottom with any speed. Now running about 10mm under the hull line and better but still a lot of interference. I can pick up clear bottom at 1200m when at rest but any movement and lose it. Best I can do is see bottom line up to 200m while at about 10 knots.

Do these need to be well in the water or potentially be aimed forwards or rearward? Feel like it's starting to get pretty low.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 10:18am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are some good informational old threads on the subject..
 Speeds , depth setups.. issues with older , pre sounder hull designs.. and in these cases the spray caused by having to set deeper and protection of engine power heads intakes from the spray.
 What depth/ angle does your sounder installation manuals say?
 Doesnt sound if set to that heigh/ angle.
near any flaps, pick ups, or picking up air at the bow and sending down under the hull?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 5:52pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where are you based.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HuntGatherRepeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 6:18am
HuntGatherRepeat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Primarily based in Taupo but generally fish out of Whakatane. The boat has quite a deep V so if one edge of the transducer is flush, the other edge is well below. I have it mounted directly to the transom with approx 10 degree angle, trailing edge of transducer being lower.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 8:53am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A combination of V and how the stakes pick up air and feed it under the hull on my older design hull was my problem.
Even when mounted as per instructions on the high and low side of the transducer because of the V.
I messed around with sides position had many mounting points due to behind able to remove bait tank pick ups and plates that held ols trim tabs.
Even met up with Josh (sounder guru) at the ramp one evening.

Ended up mounting lower than should.. Angle to plane of hull correct as per instructions.
Then had issues with a fine spray.. Slow engine killer... And when fast cruise would suck back up on board.. Damp back

That resulted in messing around with a plastic 5l container mounted behind the transducer bracket, cut to to catch deflect spray. Was with view to make up something more substantial later.
It works so well and being more flexable than other perminant materials, it remains on the transom still
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:02pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I’ve a tm275 on of s5100 and evo2 16. I had to get mine dropped very low for it to get the real good performance. I would say my leading highest edge is at least 15mm below hull line. That is at least 15mm is the highest point.I had a Navico tech do the reposition. Apart from planing strakes issues on a deep v glass boat I bet a slight bit lower would do the job. It does give a roster tail so a splash guard fixes that.

Another good option would be to contact josh from railed sport fishing who does sounder and transducer set ups. He’s based in Auckland but does regional trips I think. He has a Facebook page I think.

I’ll see if I have some photos
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 8:42pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ok I found the pictures I took when I helped the last few lads out.

Below was the actual measurements - I have only a 17 degree hull but 30mm on the high side - this is due to the distance back from the hull and the slight turbulence when it comes off the back. Imagine the water causing disturbances when flowing off the back edge. This bug transducers sit back off the hull a lot so this the need for deep.

The front edge is about 30mm on one side and 50mm on the other lower than the hull and slightly angled forward. Current structure scan is on wrong side but going to put 3d one on the other side as counter rotating engines.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 8:54pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

To put perspective on the picture- this is taken from engine position looking out. - that plank is 20mm thick and on the inside.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 8:55pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This one compares the structure ( I know it’s on the wrong side but only use it for downscan overlay). There is no gap from hull edge and start of transducer on structure scan but a lot on 275. Structure runs smooth off hull edge and I can pick up downscan at 20 knots easy but it shows comparison for the straight edge of hull to put position of the 275 in perspective. The 265 is pretty close to 275
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 8:57pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This one is from another boat I helped with same issue - lowered and now fixed - fishes off Tasmania in 600m with cracker results now
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 10:10pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

quality posting there JB
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 5:20pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm interested in your positioning.
Can you do screen shots of depths from shallow to your deepest formula for tools your using.
At any speed, say 5 knots as examples.
Would be most helpful.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vamos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 8:37pm
Vamos View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Here is another example of how to deal with air and turbulence on the transom, that is if you don’t mind cutting into your hull. It’s a TM275lhw put through the hull about 900mm forward of the transom and is producing consistent clean readings in its new location.