Gamefishing Updates to Dec '23 - Tutukaka

Page  <1 91011
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 7:04pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Danny, and great photos. You would of taken out girls comp as well?
The “V” certainly place to be last weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 8:28pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

CongratsClapThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 8:26pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good evening,

Anyone heading out of Marsden cove or tutukaka This Saturday and looking for crew?

Weather looks good and I’m up north for a few days over Christmas and be keen to head out for a days game fishing.

Will pay my way and happy to do whatever on the boat.

Cheers,
Chris
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 7:48pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished the V area today out to only about 160m Nice water but little bait. No bites, 18 bottle skippies for bait. RT quite with just the one tagged in Apex. 
Out again tomorrow but will be targeting Puka first. Depending on how that goes may do some trolling too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 8:14pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Puka went ok got 2 each. Trolled Kumera patch and back to South end knights still good water and temp but no action. Quite a few out looking but only heard of a couple yellowfin caught. Saw one splash out around 170m but unable to identify. Gave a rather large shark and myself a scare on the way out. coming in side on but it managed to duck dive just in time. Saw one small strippy free jumping heading north in 80m when planing back in. I recon it would have only been about 60kg. Don't know when I'll be out again but hopefully not too long.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 8:33pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been real busy so haven't posted much but fished the Trades Tournament out from Tuts Yesterday and today. Lots of fish caught and I've never heard of so many lost. 
Chased a Broadbill yesterday without any luck. Trolled lures today. Found a pack of large stripped marlin. At a guess 120 to 140kg+ and around 10-20kg Yellowfin as well working the sauri 170 off the pinnacles. Despite following them for 1 hour we only managed 2 simultaneous bites from the Tuna at the start and none from the Marlin. Fed them Live jacks, Kahawai and Slimy Mackerel multiple lure changes but not interested in anything. We trolled into the mayhem multiple times Dropped baits right into it. Had marlin swimming all around the boat. We hit one or it hit us too. Best time ever without actually hooking one. Wont forget this day. Bloody gopro must have been turned on in the bag as battery was flat. Would have been National Geographic stuff. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 7:52am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow, sounds like a spectacular day.
Don't know what else you could have done!

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 8:12pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Still buzzing and memory's etched into back of eye balls.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 9:53pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds very spectacular Doug. Never seen YFTs working with marlin. Very cool. I’m out Friday from Leigh again with a crew member this time thankfully. Hope we see one or two fish. Exciting time of year! Been prepping my gear tonight and rerigged 2 lures and replaced 2 windons. 
Went to lighter 200lb windon on one reel and rerigged the lure on it as it ran like a complete sluggish pig last Friday …is one of the new black magic super stripey lures. Came rigged on pretty heavy trace at least 300lb trace … so far not patch on old stripey2 lumos I loved… but will persevere. Be good to see it at least run right. Now on some lighter 250 lb high seas (more supple) trace and also changed hook to more compact 8/0 jobu. Hopefully lighter wind on will also get running better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 7:24pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm out off Tuts tomorrow. Can't possibly work with that window.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 10:30am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rather uneventful day out of Leigh yesterday, apart from one single knock down from unseen fish on long rigger. May of been a skippy or kahawai as came off after popping long rigger and the tiagra 50w giving couple of short bursts.
Trolled out to 130m off back of hen and chicks. Quite bit of bait and work ups mainly in around 100-110m between Hen and Mokes.
There was was a large commercial trawler out there all day targeting what assume were prevalent schools of skippies. Water temp was also down on previous week, best we got was 20.4 degrees vs 22 degrees where got a marlin last week in same area.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 7:53pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a similar day Friday from Pinnicals out to 200 and back around to the wrecks then back out to behind pinnacles again before heading in. Nice weather and water bait etc just not a lot of fish. Today same out from Tuts except stayed closer. Spent most of the time between 100 and 115 South to Oceans bait etc but very quiet on the marlin front. Soaked some baits for a couple hours at 100m and had Sauri schools swim past a few times but not hassled. Won't be able to get out again till 15th 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 9:43pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty peeved  off seeing the trawler out there decimating schools of skippy and kahawai last Friday between Hen and Mokes. Makes you feel sick.
Another mate out there said when they went past were dead little penguins floating where the trawler had been. 
What complete ****ers they are, even if legal. Apparently catch goes into cans for cat food and those big nets run 30m deep.
Sort puts you  off fishing yourself, or buying any fish even fish derived products for pets.  Responsible harvesting my arse, and why snapper in gulf are starving cause last year they trawled up all the pilchards in gulf.
Just goes to show the commercial guys are idiots… they are going to collapse the whole ecosystem including the lucrative export snapper long line fishery from bottom up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 10:24pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Trawler was still in the same area on Sunday Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 11:20pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Pretty peeved  off seeing the trawler out there decimating schools of skippy and kahawai last Friday between Hen and Mokes. Makes you feel sick.
Another mate out there said when they went past were dead little penguins floating where the trawler had been. 
What complete ****ers they are, even if legal. Apparently catch goes into cans for cat food and those big nets run 30m deep.
Sort puts you  off fishing yourself, or buying any fish even fish derived products for pets.  Responsible harvesting my arse, and why snapper in gulf are starving cause last year they trawled up all the pilchards in gulf.
Just goes to show the commercial guys are idiots… they are going to collapse the whole ecosystem including the lucrative export snapper long line fishery from bottom up.
So did your mate photogragh the waste or report it??
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 5:33pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

So did your mate photogragh the waste or report it??
No he didn’t but fair point. It’s not the waste although I have soft spot for blue penguins. It’s the massive take in an area which feeds into the gulf, where a lot of school fish and birds  congregate particularly this time of year.
Page  <1 91011