Visiting Auckland area in October

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mattbrueckner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visiting Auckland area in October
    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 7:10am
mattbrueckner View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My wife and I will be flying into Auckland for a week in October. We're looking to find an area to stay that would have good shore diving access nearby.

I'm not looking to trophy hunt, just looking to get a sample of things we don't have access to. The plan is to just spear/collect enough for each evening's meal. My list of things I want (more or less in order): paua, john dory, scallops, and crays. Again, I'll never be collecting near limits of anything. I'd rather be near a location that has a good chance at finding some of each of those than bunches of any one thing.

From what I've been able to research, it looks like the Army Bay area or Coromandel might be good locations to stay. We'll either be at a motel or VRBO. Anybody care to share other ideas for places to stay? And if Coromandel peninsula is a good area, what would be a good town to stay in?

I also had some questions about the laws/rules for spearing:
1. Is the New Zealand Fisheries website usually current with laws? Only ask because where I am (Florida), the website is almost always outdated.
2. I have a float with a red and white dive flag. Is that recognized in NZ or should I get an alpha flag?
3. Are there any special rules regarding shore dives? Other than obviously not jumping fences or going onto private property or reserves.

A little about me: I'm 48 and have been spearing for about 40 years. I live on the Gulfcoast of Florida. I'm comfortable hunting bottom fish down to about 25m. We deal with sharks every trip so no worries there,

Thanks again for any help.

Matt
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mattbrueckner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 7:19am
Bronze
Bronze

A few pictures of our local fish to help introduce myself.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 7:53am
The Jester View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm not looking to trophy hunt, just looking to get a sample of things we don't have access to. The plan is to just spear/collect enough for each evening's meal. My list of things I want (more or less in order): paua, john dory, scallops, and crays. Again, I'll never be collecting near limits of anything. I'd rather be near a location that has a good chance at finding some of each of those than bunches of any one thing.

From what I've been able to research, it looks like the Army Bay area or Coromandel might be good locations to stay. We'll either be at a motel or VRBO. ??? Anybody care to share other ideas for places to stay? And if Coromandel peninsula is a good area, what would be a good town to stay in?

I also had some questions about the laws/rules for spearing:
1. Is the New Zealand Fisheries website usually current with laws? Yes Only ask because where I am (Florida), the website is almost always outdated.
2. I have a float with a red and white dive flag. Is that recognized in NZ  No. or should I get an alpha flag?
3. Are there any special rules regarding shore dives? No. Other than obviously not jumping fences or going onto private property or reserves.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mattbrueckner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 3:42am
Bronze
Bronze

Jester, thanks for the answers. VRBO - vacation rentals by owner

Anyone have any input on a good area to use as "base camp"? Looks like there are lots of rentals available in Coromandel, Hot Water Beach, Whangamata. Any of those areas that would be a close drive to decent shore diving? Or would we be better off in the Army Bay area?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NICKed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 6:50am
NICKed View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Around the Whangaparaoa peninsula (Army Bay) you are likely to be limited to John Dory from your species list. Plenty of snapper and a good chance of a kingfish.

Coromandel would increase your chances of both scallops and crayfish. And your diving would be a lot more varied. Further distance from the city should mean more abundant fish!

Paua of a legal size are very scarce on the east coast of the upper north island, I don't think you will have too much luck in either Army bay or Coromandel... perhaps some of the west coast beaches, or fly to Wellington to tick off Paua.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mattbrueckner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 2:01am
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the reply NICKed. Based on your advice and others we've talked to, we ended up booking a place near Hot Water Beach. Looks like there should be lots of good shore spots there and a close drive from there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NICKed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 7:21am
NICKed View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great! Lots more variety. Make sure you try out the hot water pools on hot water beach and walk through to cathedral cove (marine reserve).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote B1g_Pun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 10:42am
B1g_Pun View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If you can afford it, get out for a day with Spearocamp. Look them up on FB and maybe throw a post up in the NZ Spearo Community page to see if you can find a buddy for a shore dive, or better yet someone with a boat. 
"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war" William Shakespeare