chill pod ice packs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chill pod ice packs
    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:13pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was using vacuumed bagged water that was repacked again, so double layer ice pack x 5off
Excellent stuff, till the snapper spines sorted them out, especially good in the much warmer shallows of the upper waitemata over summer

Now have 3 x hot water bottles that are iced down plus 3x bunnings thingy below
At best, only good enough..... find they don't chill the fish down fast enough even tho after a 4hrs trip, the hot water bottles are still 1/2 frozen
Have tried multiple ice packs from bunnings 300x250x18, not good enough, good for the first hrs or so

What are you using to chill down your catch, besides shop bought ice ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 1:26pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have selection of 1.5ltr drink bottles filled with salt water. Rinse off and refrezze after day out
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 1:31pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I chuck 3 or 4 3l juice bottles with frozen water in the chilly bin the night before so the bins cold to start with then swap them out with frozen bottles out of the freezer the morning heading out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 1:52pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like the Rob Fort large ice packs. I sandwich the fish between them Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 4:07pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I just use ice no worries lasts ages. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 5:28pm
Platinum
Platinum

Havent tried the bottles yet.
I find with the frozen hot water bottles, placing fish in the pod, they find a way to settle between the water bottles, so only partial cooling off, me thinks, would be the same or worse with the 1.5L frozen bottles, might have to try it

MightyBoosh
I have been looking at the Rob Fort ice packs, my chill pod will take 3 packs = nearly hundy bucks.... have they lived up to your expectations ?
I'm a fuss pot with my fish, can certainly taste the difference when looked after properly

Muppet
That is the best stuff, equally with my home made hopeless vacuum ice packs that packed a sad haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:04pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The packs fit in my chilly bin perfectly and are quick to wash down, so pretty happy with them. They are large volume, so stay frozen for a long time, but the same could be achieved with frozen salt/ice in plastic bottles.

If you want your fish really cold, then I don't think anything beats salt ice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:18pm
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I use frozen salt water in milk bottles. Fit nicely in the shelves of small bar fridge size bait freezer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:56pm
Platinum
Platinum

Rob Forts large ice pack & 4 x Coleman ice packs (6 x 5 x 2inch) plus 2x 600ml frozen water bottles not shown in the foto
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:11pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Where do your fish go?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:29pm
Platinum
Platinum

enough room for 7 snaps 35-55 easily