About to buy or just bought a boat?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastguard NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About to buy or just bought a boat?
    Posted: 30 May 2019 at 12:58pm
Coastguard NZ View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

We are wondering if there is a place for a seminar to help those looking to get into boating. 

The objective would be to provide unbiased advice about what to think about and equip people with a path to get into boating in a manner that is both enjoyable and safe.

We are thinking of:

A smallish group - say max 12 people

Questions encouraged

A fairly informal agenda such as:

Factors to think about when choosing a boat - eg size, type, budget, storage, equipment, maintenance.
What you need to know and how to get educated.

Style would be marginally more formal than an experienced boatie talking to someone in this situation over a dinner table.

We're not looking to make money but there would probably be a small cost to ensure those booked turn up.

Question for new boaties or those looking to get into boating - Would this be of interest and would you invest an evening and say $20.00 to attend? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 5:59pm
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

what I reckon would be more useful to the general boating public would be a video or a seies of videos on you tube with links from the coastguard site on topics around safe boating for newbies.

That way you are covering a far greater audience around the nation and can include some basic rules of the road at sea for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 6:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I see Farmer Browne's point. I also like the interaction of a live presentation. I'm not a new boatie but happy to add my two cents if needed...
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 7:14pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd be keen, anywhere within an hour of Whangarei.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 9:41pm
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That sounds ideal for me and one of my mates...a couple of years ago when we bought our first boats.

i know i still have lots to learn and at that price would be keen as am thinking of upgrading. it would be helpful to get advise from someone without an agenda. in fact extending that to a things to consider before you buy or even a prepurchase inspection checklist would help. the seminar could include tips such as lauching without getting your feet wet (i know now but would have been great then). also what to do in certain situations like practical tips. i have learnt heaps taking my experienced mates out. for those without fisho mates this could be ideal. i prefer a person to ask questions and westhaven would suit me best.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 9:44am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool concept.. and one that has a lot of merits.
One just needs to see ppl 
mess around loading , holding up others at ramps
Trying to reverse
Forget the motor is down..
move up and down the ramp with chain off..
Stupid behavior on the water.. out of ignorance..

Maybe get boat yards on board? 
 Insurance companies..requirement? after all insurance required unless pay cash ....

Maybe an addon on to basic skippers?  or pre skippers?

Really do think there is a requirement, and this has been increasing noticeably over the last 6 to 8 yrs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 2:51pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tried to flick Coastguard a PM but the names too long to PM it appears LOL

So i'll just wack it here anyways..

Just an idea as a younger fella, has coastguard considered potentially doing a few unit standards with NCEA targeting highschool students around safety and the basics which the majority of us would consider common sense? Could potentially have an impact on parents that are stubborn in their old ways too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastguard NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 3:13pm
Coastguard NZ View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback team, much appreciated.

Agreed we could look to video the session (if everyone there agrees to it) and use that to "cast the net wider".

With regards to the youth sector - yes we are aware of the McDonald's "Make it click" campaign and how effective it was in terms of getting kids to change their parents behaviour. We do run school holiday programmes and work with some schools and use the Day Skipper and VHF courses which offer the opportunity to gain NZQA credits.

These are effective and it's been known to have kids on our school holiday programme reporting that they checked and condemned dad's collection of expired flares last night! 

We also do practical on water sessions which don't have NZQA credits. Instead they have a simple objective of setting them up to be safe if they are invited out on a boat and to hopefully recognise someone taking risks.

We will keep mulling this one over and keep you posted. Thanks again for the input.