Bar information

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishman1213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bar information
    Posted: 28 May 2019 at 8:02pm
Bigfishman1213 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys,

I am a completely new boaty here who is keen to learn to keep myself alive in the mighty ocean. I am based in Auckland north shore and plan to fish around rangitoto and waiheke island. As I have very little local knowledge, would like to know if there is anything I need to look out for before going out such as bar crossing(so not keen to do that as still learning how to back a trailor straight lol). Also where can I find a map or somthing to find all the bars around northern areas? Thanks for any advice. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastguard NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 8:22am
Coastguard NZ View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi there.

To be straight up - bars aren't places for new boaties. 

We would thoroughly recommend building significant experience up on harbour waters before thinking about tackling a bar. Even then your first crossings should be under the wings of someone who knows what they are doing while you build experience, competence and confidence. Perhaps look to join one of the safety focused west coast fishing clubs.

To find out more and why all this is a good idea, we put quite a bit of energy and resources into bar crossing information and I'd recommend that you look to attend a Bar Crossing seminar or day if you can. Details of what is being offered in the Northern region are maintained here: https://www.coastguard.org.nz/information.php?info_id=256?cgnrSid=a749f4299129df60c58640faa5f140cf

From the tone of your email you might like to look at doing a Day Skipper and VHF Radio Operator courses. There are some good discounts for new Coastguard members.

Hope that helps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 9:14am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Like above the tone of your post.. Ie bars/ nth shore.. There are none.
With that understanding familary of the area.
DO THE SKIPPERS COARSE

Something far too common out on the harbour and increasing noticeably over the lat few yrs..
Ppl obviously totally unfamiliar at reversing at ramps, pre loading gear.. Right thru to real dumb stuff like traveling at speed into a group of smaller boats, swing on the helm.
Totally illegal, dangerous to all the boats around and to themselves.
We all hope their own wake will swamp over the stern (back of the boat) and sink.

There are a lot more dangerous examples to them and others.. And it is the same boat going from one to the other

Then there are guys who check weather, no wind, sea fla and get caught out when current just around the cnr is against breeze, the sea chop stands up

All these and other not mentioned example come down to buy a boat and go for it with total ignorance

Sit down study marine maps, get Navionics on a smart phone or tablet.. Study that, study Google esrth

And do the shippers coarse
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 1:02pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bigfishman1213 Bigfishman1213 wrote:

Hi guys,

I am a completely new boaty here who is keen to learn to keep myself alive in the mighty ocean. I am based in Auckland north shore and plan to fish around rangitoto and waiheke island. As I have very little local knowledge, would like to know if there is anything I need to look out for before going out such as bar crossing(so not keen to do that as still learning how to back a trailor straight lol). Also where can I find a map or somthing to find all the bars around northern areas? Thanks for any advice. Cheers.
Take a couple of experienced friends out a couple of times if not sure??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 2:39pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Bigfishman1213 Bigfishman1213 wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm in Browns Bay if you want to have a look and chat at charts around Rangi - I fish it often in my overgrown dinghy Cool
You can never have enough fishing tackle