Going ultra light

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 6:53pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've put up a video of Mudfish into a kahawai on his 3 weight outfit from a couple of weeks ago. It's not the prettiest as it was blowing 15-20 knots, waves sloshing and nasty lighting, but it does show that 3 weights can be used in more than mirror calm conditions  to  scare tiny trout in tiny creeks ...

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 8:28pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Ahhh... the delights of winter in New Zealand Good work all round

But Wolfie - it looks like you have tick some YouTube box that allows for viewing on other websites if you want it to load directly in here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 12:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

Will have a look at settings, probably some default thingy to be untucked.
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 1:56pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good stuff and good fun Wolfie.  Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 7:34pm
Platinum
Platinum

Spring is here and the prospect of some serious ultra light sport got me to looking for a reel to balance the 3 weight but importantly handle saltwater (and not break the budget).
So the fruit of my internet browsing was an Echo BaSE 4/5 which has a no frills molded graphite construction. Quite good rulon washer drag with knurled knob. Under $80 delivered and goes nicely on the 8ft CD rod. Took about 50m of backing which was sufficient to land
a 7kg kingfish a few years back so it doesnt worry me with a UL outfit. Here's to a fishy spring season!

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 9:39pm
Gold
Gold

Looks good Wolfie.
I had a Maxcatch Super Light given to me a couple of weeks ago. Really impressive reel, have been fishing it on an Ultra Glass 7 foot #3. Very smooth drag and I have been thrashing it on the kahawai. I honestly can't fault it. It's my second Chinese reel, my other is a Maxcatch (Leichi) LD, also a perfect size fort the #3.

The kings should be on the flats within aix weeks.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 10:03pm
Platinum
Platinum

We are fortunate to have so much inexpensive yet decent quality gear to choose from these days. Really looking forward to a decent kahawai on the 3wt, and keep the 7wt as my kingfish outfit ...Wink
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 6:21pm
Gold
Gold

Yeah. An old Daiwa SF708 arrived by mail yesterday so I'm keen to match that to a glass rod. The spool will interchange with the System One reel which were also made by Daiwa.

When you look into the old fly reel manufacturers, a lot of them were sleeping with each other and it's very obvious that this is still going on.

Great to see Maxcatch in New Zealand, the ultra light rods are awesome and their #3 Ultra Glass 703-3 is so good, I now have two. We are spoilt for choice with both rods and reels.

Your #7 will be perfect for the Tauranga Harbour ray riders Wolfie.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 8:59am
Platinum
Platinum

@Mudfish marquand: Do you shorten you leader on your UL or use tapered designs with these light lines to get turnover, especially on windy days?
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 5:27pm
Gold
Gold

Hi Wolfie. For ultra light, I don't use tapered leaders, just a length of 3 pound or 4 pound Maxima Ultragreen, about the same length as the rod. The light mono gives me a bit of stretch, this and my use of fibreglass rods helps protect my knots from "strike impact." I stay away from small diameter monofilament nylon leader material too. The Maxima Ultragreen in my opinion, is perfect for ULF. Cheers  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 5:39pm
Gold
Gold

And, a perfect turnover in my opinion, isn't that essential with kahawai. A splashy landing of a fly gets attention from kahawai. On some occasions, the bigger kahawai hit the fly within a second or two of it landing. Regarding wind, I get the odd casting knot that perhaps I wouldn't get with tapered leaders. In windy conditions, I will check my leader every couple of casts. The wind can work in your favour making it harder for fish to see you. Short takes are more common. No matter how strong the wind is, if you are wading, you'll find 30 to 40 degrees of easy fishing. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 8:37pm
Platinum
Platinum

Got out on Sunday midday on the rising tide with the #3 wt outfit and was able to send a cast under the wind out to about 40 ft which I was quite pleased with. Fishing with a Mudfish marqand Barbie clouser which got one missed strike then hooked up two fish but both dropped within 10 seconds. Odd but better than nothing and makes me even more confident of the ability of the outfit to cover water in the better conditions that are coming.
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 10:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

Just to inspire anyone unbalanced enough to be reading this thread ..

Yeah it's a baby tarpon on a 1 weight ...
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 5:29am
Gold
Gold

Whoever landed that knows his stuff. That rod has had a lot of use. Good stuff Wolfie. Cheers
Page  <12