Fishing my local-Waitarere Beach

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing my local-Waitarere Beach
    Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:01pm
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Spur of the moment decision after dropping the kids off to school last Friday I checked out Waitarere beach to see if launching my small aluminium cat was an option. This was my first time out here as we had moved here from the Hutt Valley 9 mths ago and normally fish further south. There were a few waves to negotiate but nothing too serious. Out past the waves looked absolutely mint 9-10/10! Got out the back with not too much trouble apart from one wave breaking over the top. Once out and without a fish finder I headed in the direction of another couple of boats but decided not to go out that far. I think I went around 1.5 - 2 kms out. Now the conditions were lovely but I wasn't that hopeful as it was full sun at 12pm when i got my first bait in the water. There was a little gentle current to drift a nice burley trail down. Not even 5mins down first bites and up pops Mr Gurnard. Yes! good start. Not long after on other rod Kahawai. Then for the next half an hour Ky, Ky, Ky,Ky, Ky ....and so on. I enjoy catching them but was looking for something else lol. Then...up pops a nice pannie Snapper. Yah! Then another. Yes! I was mindful of needing to be home for when the kids arrive home from school so one last effort and was rewarded with the best fish of the day a really nice Snapper. Stoked! Home time. Was more challenging coming in with a wave coming over the back. Retrieving the boat solo was hard at low tide with my 4wd but managed to all the same. Blessed trip.