Kayak advice for newbie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Taazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kayak advice for newbie
    Posted: 07 May 2019 at 2:49pm
Taazman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

After some advice please. Tryng to get 15yr old off screens and he has expressed an interest in kayak fishing (based close to Ohope). Neither of us really know what we are doing in that respect. 
Have been looking around and seen a Cobra Fish and Dive, and a Prowler 13 for sale both under $700. Stability is a priority (esp for his mother). With that in mind are these a decent newbie purchase?
Any other advice gratefully recieved. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 6:08pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Prowler 13 is a great yak. I paddled one for several years with no rudder and it was stable and quick enough. Cobra fish n dive is quite a wide yak, mate of mine has one with no rudder and struggles into a cross breeze. They do have heaps of room for gear, they are designed to be able to be used as a SCUBA platform.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:12pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm 108 kilos and paddle a prowler 13,they are narrower longer and faster and will paddle better than the cobra fishin dive. Both ok to get started but reckon a prowler is better option. Unless your son is massive and over 110 kg I would suggest go prowler 13. They are are rated to 140 kg. Think the cobra is rated 160 kg load. But prowler is a better in many ways more sea worthy yak which will be way easier to paddle for most people and still plenty stable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:38pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd also go for the Prowler over the Cobra. I've owned a Prowler (although a slightly larger version) and it was great. Mate had the Cobra and it was an absolute pig to paddle in wind.