Spinning in lake Taupo

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinning in lake Taupo
    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 3:08pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Help please, I have until noon tomorrow to catch a trout, any size or condition accepted!

I have a nice spin combo with 10lb flouro leader, a couple of 12g Toby lures, and an assortment of flies mostly smelt patterns, one wooly bugger. Sinkers etc.

I tried wharewaka point but the SW is making it unfishable.

Any tips for somewhere sheltered would be great. I can have another go this evening and again 1st thing tomorrow.

License expires noon tomorrow.

Thanks
Patrick
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 5:12pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Off the point by the boat ramp at Rainbow Point would be worth a go.
Real deep water straight off so cast out, let it sink & retrieve up the slope.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 6:14pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Uncle- you the man.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 6:20pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

cheers Patrick, my pleasure.
That will be a nice little eater if you kept it Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 7:06pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

man I love this forum! what a choice result
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 7:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

I let her go, may keep one tomorrow if I get lucky again. Caught on my third cast on a 12g black and silver Toby. Tried for another 20 minutes or so but no takers. You need to cast a bit left to get away from the weed but the wind was making that difficult.

I may try around Acacia bay in the morning depending on weather and hangover.

That was my first ever land based trout. Happy as.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 7:38pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I've caught a few decent browns off that drop-off.
Trick is to skim the slope.
There are lots of Koura so a slow retrieve following the contour often does the trick.
I was fly-fishing but spinners or Tokora Chickens will do the trick
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 8:58am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

May I ask the reason why you had a deadline to catch a fish or was it simply that your licence would expire then.

I will be fly fishing the Whakapapa tomorrow, Monday & possibly Tuesday & as spin fishing is permitted was going to offer to show you where & how you would be almost certain to find success.

However as you have obviously been successful on your own no need.

Congratulations. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 9:19am
Titanium
Titanium

Combination of license expiring and needing to check out of our cabin and head back home. Not all of us are international men of leisure like your good self 🙂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 3:19pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Epic!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 4:34pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done on the spinning = lots of opportunity and area to try if you get a half decent map showing depth etc.

Uncle is the man - always helpful and a genuine good bugger.

By the way Uncle I tried near a playground - Rainbow point? very deep water close to shore - is that where you mean - interested to hear about the Browns fly fishing - at night mate?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 4:48pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

You making me blush RedfingerEmbarrassed

Two mile bay boatramp is the spot.
There's a little groin out into the lake right beside the ramp.
Deep water straight off ( or as Telecaster said)more to the left.
Using HD shooting heads, we would cast out as far as poss & let it sink to the extent the fly was being retrieved parallel to the slope of the lake bed.SLOWLY.
Lots of koura around that area so a big dark marabou fly was the go.
Night time best of course when the ramp traffic had quietened.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 4:58pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've had good success on the Tokaanu canal, especially near the road bridge concrete road supports.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote thomas74121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 4:33pm
thomas74121 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

can i fish in waikto river im new to taupo and i keen fisherman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 5:23pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yes Thomas but a couple of things to be aware of.
Above the Huka Falls you require a Taupo fishing license.
Below the falls, comes under Eastern Region so a different license is required.
Good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 10:21am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Used to be a real bugga in that area withing about 25 km, you used to need a Taupo, Rotorua and the rest of NZ licences.
I often finished my lake river fishing to fish below the Huka falls with a spinning rod, often with great results. We never knew it was a Rotorua licence so fished totally unaware. Now that Eastern region is in the rest of NZ only need 2. 
Tried to get down to my old spots but wooden stairs been removed and probably the rope needed to get to the water level. Probably a DOC safety thing.....
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken