Tauranga Harbour Kingfish Season

Page  <1 91011
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 9:37pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Question: when you are wading, do you wear the waterproof ones like PVC that keep you dry or are they neoprene like a wetsuit and you get wet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 6:24pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Neither buddy,

my set up is Simms Flats boots with built in gravel guards[expensive,but if ya look after them should last a few years] neoprene socks, polyprop thermal longs and boardshorts.
dont matter were i wade,[ here or tropics,]i never go deeper than just over the Knees.
My reason being if ya go any deeper ya compromise ya line of sight and can make keeping ya line sorted a real s#$% fight!
thats just me,
if ya going to wear waders, keep safe and be sure to have a belt around waist.
those suckers will fill up and pull ya down in microseconds if ya step into a hole.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 11:19pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks. Good advice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 3:52pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ah the story that waders pull you under is an old wives tail.   Our fishing club down here (Queenstown) holds a reasonably regular event where we go to the local pools and jump in fully kitted up, and trust me no one has ever been dragged under.  Simple physics really.  Its essentially the same as going into the water fully clothed. 

A wadding belt is a good idea, however as it does help stop the waders filling up so much when you go in, and trust me when the waders are full of water you have a hell of a time getting out of the pool with a lot of extra weight inside your waders.

I think the old wife's tail comes from people going in and panicking then getting into problems.  I know that one time I knew I was going to go in making a river crossing and despite knowing it was coming, when I did go in it was quite a shock. 

My advice is, that if you are going to go into a situation where you think you might end up swimming, wear a lifejacket!  Best to be wearing it and not need it, rather than ending up in a situation where you wished you were wearing it.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 6:00pm
Gold
Gold

Also sound advice. I had heard the waders filling up thing and wondered why if the water inside your waders weighed the same as the water outside them, why would they sink. I imagine they create a lot of drag and make it difficult to swim though. Either way, I think I'll save my waders for knee to thigh deep calm water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I think if you put a person inside the waders then they will sink. The lighter part is in the lungs. You certainly won't bob about on the surface. Go back to your gurnard fishing forum smudge!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:16pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i would just say that the experiment would only be accurate if done in a water vessel with current,
i almost drowned once when slipping on  a slippery rock during a river crossing,
struggled to get a footing and the current filled up waders and pulled me down,

Not aiming to be a 'know it all"
i lost a family member to the sea, and he was a very capable waterman.
Just trying to say, be safe, minimise risks.
Thats all. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 8:34pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very valuable advice, mate. 
River deltas going into lakes are another place to be incredibly careful in waders - as fatalities around Taupo have proved. Sure the lower legs are theoretically buoyant, but "swimming" back to the shore is the issue.
getting wedged in thick harbour mud in waders would also not be fun on a rapidly incoming tide. Having experienced that kind of scenario while flounder spearing (admittedly in the dark) I'd much prefer to be in slim booties and polyprops - for sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 10:02am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah that mud can be a real problem. Sometimes you don't see it coming either.  I nearly lost a shoe a while back in an otherwise sandy and rock hard spot when I tried to cross a little trickle of a side stream. Suddenly went in up to my knees.  Was unexpected and the sort of thing that could be very problematic when wading with waders.  I do wear waders when it is cold but so far only in areas that I know what to expect.  I really don't like wading where there is mud, with or without waders.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 12:22pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

@Fishbyfly
I think your situation is that you were trying to stand up with kilos of water inside your waders. If you were to lie back in the water you could probably "float" okay - except maybe the weight of boots could be an issue.
I got swept off my feet in a tidal current and thought my days were over , but the fact I was wearing neoprene chest waders actually meant I was virtually unsinkable not matter how much water got in. Took about 10 minutes to backstroke out of current and back to shallow water. Unfortunately had to jettison my jacket and fishing equipment to swim effectively. I will only buy neoprene waders in future for the fact they are buoyant.
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 2:17pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Biking to work this morning over the Chapel St bridge. Looked down to see 4 Kings cruising through, great way to start the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 5:26pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers TedThumbs Up
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:46pm
Gold
Gold

Anyone caught a kingie in the harbour yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 10:06pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yes, there have been some good catches. Check out Salt Fly Tauranga on Facebook.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 8:23am
Gold
Gold

Cheers, but I don't do Facebook
Page  <1 91011