Which end ????

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which end ????
    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 1:31pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

I want to replace a WF6 floating line.
I have one but no indication as to which end to attach the backing & both ends seem to taper albeit I have noticed ( with all makes ) a minimal amount ... in this instance about .03 mm.
Rods are classified by length, weight of line, make model etc which is permanently marked, on the rod.
Apart from on the original box such info is not available except maybe a sticker on one end of the line stating "backing this end" but even this is removed in order to use, along with all the other info once the packaging has been discarded or mixed up with any other boxes kept.
Surely it would not be all that difficult to colour code such info preferably mid way along the line at say, close to the backing end. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 2:11pm
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Depends on the manufacturer. RIO for example have the lines looped to easily attach the backing and wind off the spool as it would go onto the reel, easy, some multicoloured lines make it even easier to see which end goes on first, but if its a weight forward there should still be over the overall length of the line a definite taper it just depends on how long the head is and the taper back to the running line. The front of the head to where the leader goes normally has a shorter taper on most WF lines.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 2:28pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by O'Neill O'Neill wrote:

Depends on the manufacturer. RIO for example have the lines looped to easily attach the backing and wind off the spool as it would go onto the reel, easy, some multicoloured lines make it even easier to see which end goes on first, but if its a weight forward there should still be over the overall length of the line a definite taper it just depends on how long the head is and the taper back to the running line. The front of the head to where the leader goes normally has a shorter taper on most WF lines.

Thanx for that info O'Neill & if I can make out which end has the longest taper I should be right, but as the taper dia. difference is so minimal, can but wonder if either end would make much difference.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 2:42pm
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The longest taper will be the end to attach to the backing. If you have access to a micrometer that would certainly help.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 7:23pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

The longest taper will be the end to attach to the backing. If you have access to a micrometer that would certainly help.
Yes have several mics & verniers left from my tool making days however are all the old imperial format ... but no matter they should still serve the purpose of measuring the taper differential.

In fact was from measuring the taper of a WF Rio Gold ( my favourite )
that made me realise how small this actually is ... a matter of a mere
- 010 inch or thereabouts if memory serves me right.

If so that may make it a tad difficult to establish where the taper ends
or begins as is rather tricky trying to measure pliable materials such as fly lines.

Will go & try now ... so will let you know shortly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 7:53pm
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

OK I have Rio Gold its a three colour version.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 8:00pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Yes have several mics & verniers left from my tool making days however are all the old imperial format ... but no matter they should still serve the purpose of measuring the taper differential.

In fact was from measuring the taper of a WF Rio Gold ( my favourite )
that made me realise how small this actually is ... a matter of a mere
- 010 inch or thereabouts if memory serves me right.

If so that may make it a tad difficult to establish where the taper ends
or begins as is rather tricky trying to measure pliable materials such as fly lines.

Will go & try now ... so will let you know the results shortly.

Unfortunately the expected time span stated has proven to be over optimistic, as the only discovery so far has been the revelation of what an unruly mess an unspooled fly line gets in to ... so please bear with me whilst I attempt to unravel it !!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 8:22pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

You should not have any problem with any WF line as the shooting line(rear end of the line to the backing is long, thin and level.     The other end is the head.    Even a Rio Gold has a long level shooting line after the 46' head .   No need to measure; it is quite evident.    Are you sure you have not got a double taper line which is tapered at both  ends?

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 10:48pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Wow sorting out the tangles was fun, particularly when new ones repeatedly formed in process of trying to sort the existing ones !
After applying highly technical & scientific procedures a conclusion has finally been reached, namely as follows using US imperial measure :-
One arm span = approx. 5 ft 

Total line length 18 spans                                    = 90 ft.
Line the same at both ends                                  = .045"
Max line dia                                                        = .055

End "A" taper ends at 12 spans +/-  mtr or two
End "B" ''''''''  ''''''''  ''' 3 - 4 '''''   ''''''  ''''''  '''  '''''

As end "A" is considerably longer then it is obviously the end to attach the backing.

Now all that remains is to try to establish what reels are for which rods also the line weights & if they are floating, slow sink, fast sink, intermediate or sink tip.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 11:07pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Rainbow Rainbow wrote:

You should not have any problem with any WF line as the shooting line(rear end of the line to the backing is long, thin and level.     The other end is the head.    Even a Rio Gold has a long level shooting line after the 46' head .   No need to measure; it is quite evident.    Are you sure you have not got a double taper line which is tapered at both  ends?

Rainbow

Yes Herb am 99% sure it is a weight forward & packaging states WF-6F

Appears to be much the same configuration as the Rio which shows a gradual rear taper with a much shorter forward taper.

What staggers me is the tiny difference in the min & max line dia ie a mere .010 " which is marginally less than 5 X that of a human hair. Hard to imagine it could have the effect that it obviously does.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 6:54am
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

All sorted then?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 11:27am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

hi Bazza     You need to bare in mind that the head of a  #6 weight forward line is thin already.   This would explain the only slight difference in running line diameter as this also has to have enough plastic coating thickness to contain the tiny glass buoyancy balls which makes it float.    

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Esbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 10:04pm
Esbee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Or maybe weigh 30ft on either end, the front should be heavier.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 6:24am
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have had this same problem a couple of times in past years and the way that I worked it out was to wind the line on, try casting it, see how it feels, measure a series of casts, then put the line on the other way and repeat the process. The only time I was stumped was with a level line. Hope this helps. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.