Clears shrunk

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clears shrunk
    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:41pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Now with things cooling down I got my clears out to fit onto my Bimini top. But looks like they have shrunk. They are only 5 years old, so are they throw away or does anyone know how to stretch them to fit. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 8:17am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I always had this problem fitting on a cold morning would leave out in afternoon sun and no problem - leave clears out on hot day and fit and leave on for a few days to help stretch as well every month or so - its surprising now much difference heat makes particularly if made from thicker material.  If fitting in morning warm up first inside.   Literally goes from impossible to easy fit...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 8:23am
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have resorted to a hair drier on cold mornings, as above, heat makes a huge difference
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 11:07am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I leave my clears on the boat.onlly time they get folded /rolled back is when out on the water to provide more gunnel space for fishing.. And rolled up for better veiw at the helm.
I don't understand why a need to fit on a cold morning.
Oh the only other time is if a huge storm is going to come thru.
The clears get removed and laid out flat in the cabin or hung in the shed.
The Bimini frame dtopped, clears attached to the Bimini are hung down and frame secured in the dropped position.
Never fold a clear.
When the storm passes the frame
The front clears attached to the bimini I clip then put frame nearly all the way up. Then start the zips only, connect the clips at the bottom, finish the zips all the way... Fully pull Bimini up and tension square.

I think over time things like frames and how the bimini sits gets moved, twisted a little which causes clears mside clip not be easy to clip up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:03pm
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Everyone's situation is different.

I prefer to run without clears, unless it's cold. And the bimini frame folds down every time the boat is put away, so it will fit in the shed. Folding down with clears attached would crease them for sure. I store them rolled in a tube and so far so good.
Early morning starts, if I didn't get to it the night before, means cold clears going up. Hairdryer gently to the panels, gives good stretch and relieves the aggravation of swearing at them and cursing cold fingers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 5:42pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps<br>I don't understand why a need to fit on a cold morning. [/QUOTE Steps
I don't understand why a need to fit on a cold morning. [/QUOTE wrote:

Use to drive with Canopy down as windy road out to little huia from Mt
Use to drive with Canopy down as windy road out to little huia from Mt Albert and lots of trees/branches to hit for fish first thing - some days ice on boat....but after a while setup day before in Sun - easier.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 8:36am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah Ben with you down that route.. Fully understand

Carefully storing rolled up over longer periods.. Winter.. If not perfectly dry and clean they can stick. Hence why I hang on couple nails on shed wall
And carefully if warming.. Only warm heat can break down the polymers causing fine cracks and/or yellowing.
After near 8 yrs on the boat most of the time.. Lot sun.
I have a couple finger marks from sun screen, couple scratches from a reel and clear as.
Regular wash, dry off with towel, quick polish with meguires quick detail car polish.. Using as little as possible