The big Aussie lap

Page  <1 456
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 10:51am
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

that's an awesome caravan mate! I'm loving this thread will watch with interest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 5:04pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice looking caravan Scott. It took a while but you won't regret selecting a Landcruiser as the tow vehicle.    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 8:32pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice van, you’ll both be styling in that...
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 4:41pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah she the ducks nuts but big bucks. Now the towing wagon weight capabilities. I’m learning a bunch on LandCruisers at the mo. Talking to aussies it seems like they learn all about LandCruisers in primary school. So from the aussies that I could understand what they were saying- some pretty broad, its all about weight. The 200 series all have the same chassis- tranny - motor etc - difference is in features, layout, options.

Was doing a Sahara or altitude as the missus reckons since we will be doing big KMs may aw well have the fancy options. But with the caravan at 3350Kgs and me wanting a topper boat they will be too heavy so we are looking at a GXL or GX the GX is very basic but light in comparison.

Anyone on here know how to work out the Mass Tare, ATM, tow ball weight calculation?

Topper prob getting close to 200Kgs me wife and dog prob 180Kgs
Sundry camping gear 150Kgs.

Sounds like you can get a suspension upgrade from a basic few more coils to a $4k replacement...

Boggling stuff.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 4:46pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Also found this topper boat https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2012-BlueFin-380-Varmint-WB/SSE-AD-6073891?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-6073891

Which is pretty close to what I’m after - 200Kgs. But can only go on a GX Landcrusier because it has barn doors and doesn’t hit the topper rack....
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 5:12pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Scott the link below maybe of some interest to you. As I've mentioned previously I'm not particularly mechanically minded but it would appear the legality of towing vehicles and boat / caravan weights is not as simple as some would think.
http://fishwrecked.com/forum/tow-vehicle-2
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 1:02am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Which ever 200 you get don’t buy xtras at purchase time... buy them the next day, the 200 series attract a luxury vehicle tax,
Upgrade options are endless, get some HID spotlights and a led light bar nothing can sneak out in front of you when you bring daylight wherever you go
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 12:23pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok update now site is working. Settled on a GX 2012 Landcruiser 200 series. Basic for the SUV style as this allows most payload at 715KGs. $43k with 150k odd reading. Has steel bull bars, VHF, roof rack, awning, winch etc so that has to be taken off the payload of 715KGs. Add me, missus and dog plus diesel and I’m about 300KG payload available. Then there is the outboard and fridge freezer in the back down to 110KGs. So if I’m taking sinkers or additional battery for outboard fishfinder electric motor I need a GVM upgrade. Found a guy in Queensland who I will do a Australia wide compliment 350kg upgrade so I can now take a topper boat and loader system...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 12:26pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 12:27pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My new Aussie home. Wheels nearly as big as my missus!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 11:23pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 11:27pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow these guys fish light - 2 to 3kg for estuary fish.
A couple of 30cm bream which was breakfast - caught 15 but only two worth a feed - legal is 25cm in Queensland. At Colandra for a few more days - be great to get a whiting or flathead while I’m here. Had a massive dart go airborne beside me at first light. Now armed with a surface popper ( again tiny)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:01pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not much clean up required after filleting breakfast!!
A bit intimidating as they snap at anything and their height was at a “awkward” height. Lucky they only got small beaks...
Page  <1 456