Penn spinfisher vi liveliner users

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goobernator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Penn spinfisher vi liveliner users
    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 11:44am
Goobernator View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Any other users have any thoughts/issues yet?
I have a vi 6500ll, been using it for a while. Dont like the secondary drag setup. The lightest setting is not light enough, even with the adjusting screw backed right off and it vibrates too much. Actually, overcoming the force of the clicker is harder than the lightest drag setting. The problem is the clicker spring design. It has a detent style spring running inside a ring gear. I rebent the spring to be weaker which helped with the amount of force required to overcome the clicker. But it still too strong and vibrates horrible when line is being stripped.
Even my okuma avenger baitrunner has a better rear drag in terms of the lightest setting.
The rear drag lever is kind of annoying. When the fishing is fast and furious, I'm always pushing it to far. Sometimes it takes a couple of goes to get it the right.
Im sure the front main drag tightens up by itself sometimes?.
Now the front spool clicker doesn't work properly. The clicker works less and less as the drag is tightened up. With the spool off, I can turn the clicker gear by hand! It should be stationary for the spool clicker to turn against.The tight drag clamps down on the gear and rotates it with the spool and clicker as one. "Take it back to the dealer", I hear you say.
I do like the waterproof quality of the reel. Love how I can wash it down at the end of the day. More cons than pros for me so far...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 8:17pm
like_to_strike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's the trade off with having a sealed reel, the seals of the shaft through the reel create drag stopping it from spinning freely. 

To be honest the best bait runner is the bail arm, little to no resistance, no over runs and it forces you to be attentive to your rod plus less to fail and service!

I used to have a shimano 8000d as a loaner on my boat but i'd out fish my guest using it when straylining until they start to use the bail arm instead so i replaced it with a non bait runner reel to remove the option LOL