Marlborough Sounds in an RIB

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlborough Sounds in an RIB
    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 1:03pm
Blucky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Heading down to the Marlborough Sounds in a months time and was planning on using a small 2.5m RIB with an 8hp to cruise around Pelorus and Kenepuru sounds and get me to some otherwise inaccessible campsites.

Are the waters sheltered enough to spend a few days out in the sounds?

Does anyone have experience camping or fishing around the sounds?

Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 10:29am
Blucky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Have heard a lot about people kayaking around the sounds so I'm guessing it'd be pretty safe for a small inflatable.

Anyone have any tips for getting a couple blue cod or gurnard?
Also considering chucking the wettie on if anyone can point me towards a good spot for spearing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 2:10pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Kenepuru you should be ok, but Pelorus .. um
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 4:04pm
Blucky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Does the swell roll through there?

I was planning on using the campgrounds on the southern end of the sound. Figure its a bit more sheltered for a small boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 12:58pm
Gold
Gold

Open ocean swell doesnt in either sound but it can get a bit rough from strong nor west esp in the Pelorus.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 2:17pm
Blucky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers mate will be watching out for that!
Seems like the go to for a feed is blue cod down your ways, do they hang around the mussel farms like snapper?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 4:33pm
Gold
Gold

You will have to go on rocky ground for blue cod. No or very few blue cod in Kenepuru, maybe a few snapper around the mussel farms though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 6:48pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi,
You need to join the Facebook group call ‘fishing Marlborough’. Im a member of it. There is a heap of info on land based around the sounds. I fish the sounds half a dozen times a year. Often the wind in the sounds funnels down the valleys. You can see the clouds going one way by the wind is blowing the other. This is far more evident in pelourus and kenaperu than queen charolette.

Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 8:20pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have you already bought the 2.5m, if not seriously 10-11ft makes a huge difference and will plane easier with the 8hp and much dryer in a swell.

If its a true RIB and not a sib you wont have this problem, but often with SIBS when they hit say a 1m swell with wind blowing the top off, the bottom inflation which gives its ability to go plane etc deflates easily, the valve pops if going hard out.

If you stick to the nearer inshore areas you should be fine. I use to take my 2.8m Zodiac out passed Tiri to the 40m all the time, but you have to have faith in your hull.

Which hull is it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 12:59pm
Blucky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Its an Aquapro SMR 260, with an ally hull so its a true RIB.
As long as I can get out to some of the more remote campsites and also be able to get to some spots where I can do a bit of fishing and diving I'll be stoked.

Not much room in the boat for all the gear though LOL