OPST Sinking tips

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OPST Sinking tips
    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 12:31pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A question:

On my 6wt SWF setup I have x2 spools, one with floating line and the other WF6F/I s3.

With regards to the WF6F/I s3 Im thinking of putting a OPST commando sink tip s6 on it when the current increases so i can maintain bottom and obviously remove as the current / location changes.

Has anyone run a system like this and can you recommend a grain weight , also what reference does the grain weight have as s6 would mean s6 across all the different grains???

Cheers G
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 5:59pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I will ask Fish Whisperer Duncan about this - he should be able to help. Thanks for your company yesterday mate - great fun as always - been a great few months fishing the kaipara with you and I appreciate it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 6:37pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Russ, got a cunning plan for those carrots in the current šŸ˜€
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 9:22pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Humn an interesting idea. I use the opst and mowtips etc.   for all my double handed fishing here around Queenstown.

I have to say that I think you will find that the weight of them will be the equivalent of tying a house brick to the end of your line if you're only using a 6#.    

Oh also, just to make sure you realize, double handed tackle is rated differently than single handed. In other words a 6# double handed outfit is equivalent to approx a 8-9# single handed outfit, when it comes to casting weights.

Good idea however, if you're looking to get down.

May work with an 8# up as their weight will become more negligible.

Probably better to just stick to fast sinking polyleaders for a 6# thought bro.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 8:18am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Over the years I've built many heads out of T-14 etc. Rather than fished off the end of a flyline, go and buy some running line such as slickshooter, or OPST Lazar in he 40lb plus range and swap this out for your flyline... but I have to say I'd not go under an 8 weight using this type of rig. I've used this in the Kaipara and it gets down.

As Fraser said, the double hand line weight system is very different to the single hand. The OPST Bucket/Riffle/Run tips come in std weights being 96, 132, 168 gr. I wouldn't be keen on even the 96 on the end of a #6 fly line - be ugly as a box of spiders ...
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Good Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 10:08am
Good Brother View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Graeme,

I changed from the Fishwhisperer tag to Good Brother a while ago (both are wind ups with my actual Brother).

Talked with Barrie from I love Fly Fishing re the OPST Tips as he brings them in and knows truckloads more about them than me. My knowledge of Skagit etc is very limited.

For the 6wt he suggested the Micro Tips. These are 5ft, 7.5ft and 10ft long and are 60gr. By memory I think he said the 7.5ft was 6 inches / second.

Give him a call.

Cheers
Duncan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 10:25am
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Duncan
Hope you got over the little scare that you and Russell had on Saturday.
That was just the Kaipara sheriff keeping you east coasters in line :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 12:01pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Depends on how you want to fish,but the standard polytips are the way to go if you just want to pop something on the end of your existing lines, however they wont get you right down deep, only assist in getting the front end of the line down a little.  

The method Nick suggested (running line and t14-t18 shooting head) is a great way to go if you want to get right down and hold bottom. 

A nice mid option is to get an Airflo Streamer Max line or similar which is an integrated fly line with a decent amount of T material formed into a head, with an integrated floating running line.  

So many options out there these days for this kind of thing its mind boggling.  All comes down to how you want to fish hey? Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 12:03pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Damn I'd forgotten about their micro tips- worth a shot. 
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 12:30pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

Damn I'd forgotten about their micro tips- worth a shot. 

My lack of experience (naming knowledge) but that is what I was meaning when I stated commando sink tip from OPST.

Think I will give this a go - as the tide run increases in the kaipara I need more line weight to hold bottom and when it decreases or you get in to a back eddy want a little less - hence remove the micro tip.

Thanks for the advice - confirmation of thought

Cheers

G
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 5:06pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Iā€™d try a 10ā€™ extra fast sinking polyleader first. Significantly less investment. I use the OPST single hand Spey set up on a 7wt for swinging flies in the river. You can overhead cast but really ugly. Like Fraser said like hiffing a brick. Best to use a Spey cast with these.
The poly leaders cast pretty well overhead as they are tapered.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 5:53pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like you could have all done with a trip to one of the events with Simon Gawsworth in NZ recently. Lot of guess work in here. FYI, OPST are made by RIO.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 7:12pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Millsy Millsy wrote:

Sounds like you could have all done with a trip to one of the events with Simon Gawsworth in NZ recently. Lot of guess work in here. FYI, OPST are made by RIO.

I did attend one of the events which was very informative, just trying to work through fishing the variable currents on the kaipara whilst still maintaining light weight setups