Norhland trip mostly ruined by a small cyclone :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Norhland trip mostly ruined by a small cyclone :-)
    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 10:13pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So we went to KariKari, first day was the best, we shot a couple of snapper, some butters and a smallish king.

Then that Cyclone hit and all hell broke loose on the water, wind gusts, rain etc for the next 3 days.

So we visited friends at KeriKeri, the more I visit the place the more I like it. We didnt do much spearing but had a murky 2m vis dive.

After 2 days we went to Tutukaka, the more I visit this place the more I love it too. It was quite a blow the first day. But the second we managed to get to the poor knights for a free dive, wow this place is nuts with the amount of bump head snaps, the look like SA aussie snaps. The most amount of huge trevally I have seen, mao mao I didnt know could grow that big, and of course the huge ings cruising and schools of midsize. Apparently the Snaps have become the apex predator due to a lack of bronzies. Not sure how true that is, but I didnt see a shark which is a bit odd. Saw some vessels parked up inside the channel between the 2 islands, you have to be sure your chart plotter is accurate, I think its about 600m of leeway. I read on the net one guy got a 25k fine for fishing in the zone so id just be out of it completely.

Anyway, overall, despite a lot of wind and swell, it was a really fun trip just to visit the far north again, love it up there. Didnt shoot much fish but did see some really awesome fish in the marine reserve so its not always about how many but what you saw. :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 10:57pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice report - refreshing my Padi licence in Tutukaka 10 years ago finally tipped the scales to never pick bubble blowing gear up again (well, got me into freediving once and for all). Crazy what you can see up there.
Good to see some live back in the forum
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 2:34am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah I love Tuts, I could live there. Sometimes you dont need a gun, just your freediving gear. my next investmet is an underwater cam or cover for my a6000. would have been awesome footage at the PKs.

I learnt to dive via my uncles who were instructors along with my aunt, back in those days things were a bit more loose lol. i too need to get my padi formally.  but more so for other things not being one with the fish.