Strip Strike Salt Fly Fest 2019 (3rd-5th May)

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 5:49pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Beautiful day there Mark,harbour looks pretty empty to!
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 7:21pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We had headed toward Kauri pt to look for snapper but got distracted by the number of explosions on the flat ... Everyone else was behind us back by Matakana island and the mouth. After we had hooked eight or so we invited the minion to join us.

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 9:07pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The weather on Saturday and Sunday was absolutely spot on. I spent both days targetting kahawai with my #2. It was a tough day wading but I managed a couple of medium size kahawai. The high point of the day was an eye ball encounter with a big king. Not a lot I could do with the #2. Fifteen minutes later my fishing companion Bronwyn had a similar encounter with two kings that were only a metre from her. On Sunday, I spent a few hours wading a flats behind Matakana Island. Unbelievable conditions with small groups of big kahawai going across the flats with and against the current in about 30cm of water. The calm conditions meant that the bow waves of the approaching fish could be seen from 300 metres. Plenty of time to plan the interception. It was a matter of letting the kahawai come close enough to deliver the #8 pink Charlie type fly and slowly strip. I couldn't believe the range the kahawai came from to nail the fly. The bow wave would change direction and chase, a big boil and it was game on. I hooked up on four, broke one off when the line tangled on my boot eyes, got busted by another and landed two, one 5lb, the other 4.75lb on my #2 with 3 pound tippet. Adrenalin plus! A big thanks to the kaimai kid for organising the event, and also to Dan Burt and Justin Cahill who put the effort in to make the weekend such a success. Thanks guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 7:21am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

That sounds like great fishing MM! Any sight fishing like that is world class. Just a shame we don't have weather like that every day of the week Sounds like it was a good weekend enjoyed by all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 12:09am
Platinum
Platinum

A little while back I posted about losing a fish when the hook broke after the first run. At the Strip Strike I had a repeat event with a popper I tied about 4-5 years ago and used a few times with ever hooking anything. 
 So with the kahawai busting up all around I put it on and got myself the first fish on it  ... yay!

Then I pulled the hook out ...

So this is my "good luck" story from the weekend!

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:02am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Now there's a fly that was in need of retirement Good to see it did the job before falling apart. Nice sized kahawai. That popper would have had plenty of 'bloop' in it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 6:53pm
Platinum
Platinum

Good old hand whittled wine cork - maybe residual wine acid corroded the shank ... :))
Hook was a cheapo  Mustad bait hook that was unkirbed. 

Have learned the hard way to make sure there is plenty of open gap from the body to the barb to make hooking easier!
The Auckland Swoffer
Page  <12