Technical question on line class.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Technical question on line class.
    Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 7:40pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Theoretically, if I have a reel filled with 15kg mono and have only a 4m section on 24kg joined as a top shot with a braid sleeve, will I have an IGFA legal 24kg set up assuming all other rules are adhered to?
Stu
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 8:08pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Trick question?  I would have thought you are still 15KG with the 24KG as leader?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 10:01pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Xtoad Xtoad wrote:

Theoretically, if I have a reel filled with 15kg mono and have only a 4m section on 24kg joined as a top shot with a braid sleeve, will I have an IGFA legal 24kg set up assuming all other rules are adhered to?
Stu

Simple answer is yes rules were changed as more and more were using braid with top shots so theoretically you could have 24kg braid top shoted with 10 kg mono and as long as it 5 m or more then it is classed as 10kg line class
Section 2: IGFA Rules including NZSFC additionsNote: In section 2 -Black Text are IGFA sourced Rules, NZSFC additions are shown in RedText. The following angling rules have been formulated by the International Game Fish Association to promote ethical and sporting angling practices, to establish uniform regulations for the compilation of world game fish records, and to provide basic angling guidelines for use in fishing tournaments and any other group angling activities.The word “angling” is defined as catching or attempting to catch fish with a rod, reel, line, and hook, as outlined in the international angling rules. There are some aspects of angling that cannot be controlled through rule making,however. Angling regulations cannot ensure an outstanding performance from each fish, and world records cannot indicate the amount of difficulty in catching the fish. Captures in which the fish has not fought or has not had a chance to fight do not reflect credit on the fisherman, and only the angler can properly evaluate the degree of achievement in establishing the record.Only fish caught in accordance with IGFA international angling rules, and within the intent of these rules, will be considered for world records. Following are the rules for freshwater and saltwater fishing and a separate set of rules for All-Tackle Length and Fly fishing.RULES FOR FISHING IN FRESHWATER AND SALTWATER(Also see Rules for Fly-fishing)Equipment RegulationsA.LINE AND BACKING1.Monofilament, multifilament, and lead core multifilament lines may be used. For line classes, see World Record Requirements.2.Wire lines are prohibited.3. The use of backing is permissible.4. The catch shall be classified under the breaking strength of the first 16.5 feet (5 meters) of line directly preceding the double line, leader, or hook. This section must be comprised of a single, homogeneous piece of line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 10:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'd have top read my rule book Stu but I think you would need a minimum of 5m of 24 to be classed as 24
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 10:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Looks like TZER has read the rule book while I was typing Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 10:12pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Looks like TZER has read the rule book while I was typing Big smile

Just knowing where to look my friend and simple as cut & pasteWink I think this rule change was initiated by Austraian Game Fishing & NZSFC to the IGFA Trustees who took sometime deliberating over it and had they not approved it then NZ/Aus would have adopted it for their own countries.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 11:20pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The setup as described in the original post stating that there is only a 4m length of 24kg line doesn't satisfy the IGFA requirement for there to be "... 5 meters of line directly preceding the double line, leader, or hook." and in addition because the rules state "... this section must be comprised of a single, homogeneous piece of line..." which it isn't, would imo make the setup as described non compliant in any line class classification.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 9:57am
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My understanding is that the 24kg would be considered a leader as it is under 9.14m in length. It can be joined to the mainline however you choose - swivel, braid sleeve, etc, but the method of joining and the terminal tackle will all be considered part of the leader for length measurement purposes. Your rig above Stu would be IGFA 15kg compliant - the 5m section to be tested would be the 5m immediately preceding the braid sleeve.
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 10:44am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Firstly, it doesn't count as a top shot because the 24kg section is not a minimum length of 5 metres.

Secondly it would be legal if the overall length of the trace and the 24kg section was within 9 metres, as it would be considered a leader.

Thirdly, Why Would you try and claim 24Kg using 15kg backing?What are you trying to achieve?
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 2:44pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Heard a blue down the line yesterday was DQ-ED , There tackle shop bought wind on was longer than 9.12 m . Buggar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 3:15pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by the demon the demon wrote:

Heard a blue down the line yesterday was DQ-ED , There tackle shop bought wind on was longer than 9.12 m . Buggar

Happens all the time, people either forget to trim their wind-on, or they use somebody elses lures with longer bit leaders than what they usually use.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 10:03pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks guys, yeah I figured if the the topshot and actual leader were writhin length they would be considered the leader and it would be 15 compliant.
Appreciate your time posting.