Fresh Mullet?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote IGAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh Mullet?
    Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 3:02pm
IGAB View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anyone know where I can pick up some fresh mullet for a trip tomorrow? East Auckland would be easiest for me...

Cheers
Looking forward to to fishing freedom on the Jet ski..and maybe even catching a fish :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Peteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 3:13pm
Peteg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Taiping in Meadowlands shopping centre usually has fresh mullet. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:06pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I buy fresh (chilled) mullet from Pknsave
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:40pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is a load of them swimming around my boat right now, but they would need catching LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 9:43am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have a chat at your local supermarket.
 Find out what day they get their deliveries...
Then ring day before and get them to put aside your required number of mullet/ trevs/ KY.

They will scale it...
 You can then fillet them , cut baits ( if wish to , bag and freeze)
 Or do as I do now, lay fillets out .. generously rub salt in.. lay out on a 'grill' or blocks plastic in the bottom of a large chilly bin.
 Sprinkle more salt over each day for next 3 days.
Then cut to size or just whole put in zip lock bags...sit in bucket of water.. pour a bit of the juices into each bag.
 Then partly seal, with the water in the bucket forcing the air out and seal.
I use , from memory 25mm x 15mm ziplocks..

Mullet and teve my go to, and mix in each bag
 KY is usually 'spare ' fish after smoker full.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 10:13am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Have a chat at your local supermarket.
 Find out what day they get their deliveries...
Then ring day before and get them to put aside your required number of mullet/ trevs/ KY.

They will scale it...
 You can then fillet them , cut baits ( if wish to , bag and freeze)
 Or do as I do now, lay fillets out .. generously rub salt in.. lay out on a 'grill' or blocks plastic in the bottom of a large chilly bin.
 Sprinkle more salt over each day for next 3 days.
Then cut to size or just whole put in zip lock bags...sit in bucket of water.. pour a bit of the juices into each bag.
 Then partly seal, with the water in the bucket forcing the air out and seal.
I use , from memory 25mm x 15mm ziplocks..

Mullet and teve my go to, and mix in each bag
 KY is usually 'spare ' fish after smoker full.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Some good points there ... but to add a couple sugestions :-

I agree having the outlet scale & fillet is a good move as saves having scales being scatter into the boat ( even if scaling over the side ) & they tend to do a better job of filleting with less waste.

I usually choose to then pre cut most of fillets into bait size pieces which saves a bit of time over doing so whilst out fishing but usually leave a couple as is in case larger baits are called for. Also ask for the heads & frames which are added to the burley bucket which has the benefit of being the same as the bait being used & does not disperse quite as much as mulched burley allowing it to be broken into chunks to toss over in the final 15 mins or so of fishing which seems to draw in larger fish having scoffed the freebie offerings now eager to gulp down the baited version with a hook attached.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 1:06pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

IMO to be avoided where ever possible are those frozen twin packs sold mainly at gas stations & bait outlets.

There was a time when they were of reasonable quality but for quite some time now are mostly very poor quality, ill kept almost stale fish that are square shaped presumably from being packed in so tight into a container or suchlike. On thawing they turn mushy to the extent they may have been run over by a steam roller.

Not sure if it is true but was told by a seller that they can no longer buy in NZ mullet as bait & it mow comes over from Aus crammed into
containers which if so, is another very good reason not to buy it !!!  
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!