Worrying......but worth a chuckle

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worrying......but worth a chuckle
    Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 8:03am
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Doing a drift between Kauri pt and Chelsea yesterday. It was about 2hrs into outgoing and I noted a boat drop anchor near my drift line closer to the wharf. As I drifted down I kept an eye to make sure we would not collide, about 50m from him I see him send his mate forward to let out more anchor rope.

As I come past him about 15m off his starboard side he asks me if the tide is still coming in, 'nah', ' been going out for about 2hrs' I tell him.. He says, pointing at his bow firmly anchored to the ground, 'then why am I moving that way? '

'You're not' I shout pointing over my shoulder,' I'm going that way'. A few moments silence, 'Oh......right'

This blissfull ignorance was later added to by others at the Birkenhead ramp showing just how little knowledge or common sense they have
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 9:17am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Scary eh. Yesterday I was at our local ramp Te Toro helping with a few repairs. I watched a boat have 3 unsuccessful attempts at berthing so I went to help him. I pointed to where he should come in to miss the worst of the current. he didnt value my advice.

He came in the same as the 3 previous times but at least I was there to grab the painter he threw to me. as I was pulling the boat out of the current an old fella on boat was getting ready to jump onto the pontoon. I told him to wait but he didn't listen either. He landed on the pontoon, did a barrel roll and went into the water on the other side. He literally went in head first. luckily he came up on the same side and I was able to grab him.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 9:36am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

HaHa theres problem right there "Smudge",old fella not taking advice from a young whipper snapperLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 11:12am
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

HaHa theres problem right there "Smudge",old fella not taking advice from a young whipper snapperLOL

👏👏😁....the temptation to leave them to suffer the consequences of their own stupidity is sometimes just too much but then our instinct kicks in and we just have to help, even if we are just some young whipper snappers 😊.
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 11:57am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I guess we're all still learning, I certainly am, but the lack of common sense in some situations is what's really worrying. I also can't stand rude or unreasonable behaviour at boat ramps, but that's another thread Smile 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 9:07am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was at our local ramp Te Toro helping ..

Im still trying to get the knack of coming in and swing the stern into the pontoons at the right time...nailled it a couple time now thu.

as I was pulling the boat out of the current an old fella on boat was getting ready to jump onto the pontoon. I told him to wait but he didn't listen either.

Had a couple crw now you still think they are at the Mareati club ramp.. think climbing out is a good idea...But have not done so..
 Skipper gets.. lets say rather explicit in instructions if they intend or try to...
Personally know the little trouble I have there.. basically a little bump, rather than a clean slide in.... 
If free or make myself free, I always receive any other boats coming in...