Large Perch at McLaren falls

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Large Perch at McLaren falls
    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 10:57pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been to Mclaren falls thousands of time summer and winter and not seen any perch in the actual river pools.
Went there for a swim yesterday and a very large perch was swimming around in the sandy area of the pool when i arrived.

Was at least 25-30 cm.  

Ive fished this river extensively and caught many trout and eels but never seen a perch yet. And knowing what the upriver is like and downstream is also a no go, i am assuming someone has recently released it !

Luckily i am staying over in tauranga from 13th to 24th and so will have plenty of time inbetween hunting and seas fishing to catch it.

Anyone wanting to know where it is, go to the falls bridge, walk upriver ten mins to the large pool just around the first bend and i saw it 5 times hanging around the sandy area just to the true right of the entry channel.

It seemed pretty damn hungry from its behaviour, between it and the 4 decent sized eels that are a resident of that pool there wont be that much food in there for it. Probably why the eels are tame enough to come to be fed when i call them by tapping on a rock.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roland56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 2:57pm
Roland56 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello Wanda

Big perch in Lake McLaren. Did you ever catch any perch since you saw that nice one in January in the lake? Would be interesting to see what has happened in the meantime, if that was a released single one or if the perch made it to that lake themselfes in the meantime.

Kind regards Roland
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is much more important.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 9:19pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I haven't seen perch in McLaren despite fishing it on occasions. Last season, I did see big rudd and on one occasion about twenty large tench. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 6:50pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, i caught it. Have not seen any there since so im guessing it was a released one.  There are many in nearby lake mcLaren so assume it was from there.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.