So you want to be a fisherman?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smelt4Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 9:45am
Smelt4Bait View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

For fish cleaning, find an old ironing board in the trash, remove the cloth cover and use it out back away from the house. When done, rinse, fold it up and lean it up against the fence or garage.

Circle hooks work great but you need to fish them right. When you get hit do NOT set the hook. Let it run for 3 to 5 seconds, then click the bail, tighten up and your on! Fight as normal and the hook should be set firmly in the corner of the mouth.

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 1:14pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After watching a number of boats "fishing" yesterday I think they need a good read of the site. Lifeless rods but surrounded in fish and not catching. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote braveintranets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 9:49pm
braveintranets View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Very nice input. Just want to contribute my 2cents

If you know where youre going to fish, go there in advance and ask people what theyre using. Most folks, and especially older folks, love to give tips and usually know all the good spots.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 5:37pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Your list pretty much covers my arrangement, with an improved filleting station my next to do.
With regards to the fish ("beer") fridge, temperature is a critical factor. You want it set as close to 0c as possible without freezing the fish. This can literally double the shelf life of fish.
If left whole I can fillet fish after 10 days & it is almost impossible to tell that it is old.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by The cook The cook wrote:

Your list pretty much covers my arrangement, with an improved filleting station my next to do.
With regards to the fish ("beer") fridge, temperature is a critical factor. You want it set as close to 0c as possible without freezing the fish. This can literally double the shelf life of fish.
If left whole I can fillet fish after 10 days & it is almost impossible to tell that it is old.

That's impressive. I've heard before to keep fish at 1 degree for max life, your post endorses that.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 8:30am
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Folding filleting table from "Container Door .com" has been great for me. Good height and easy to store. Separate varnished ply board on the table for cutting on, easy rinse. The tap is useless, but hose does the job fine. Fillet in the shade outside, Labrador gets first snapper head to keep her quiet for 10 minutes, then a few trimmings as I go. :-)
Page  <12