Why is the longline so good!??

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jngriffiths@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:13pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well went for my fishing holiday. I can confirm there are lots of snapper in Port Jackson. Few points.

1. My long line was awesome. Best day was 7 snapper on 25 hook line after an hour. Let 3 go. Biggest 46cm.
2. Salted pilchards work very well. Even cut smaller than you think. Like 1 pilchard cut into 4. All bait was always eaten within about an hour. Except when i set it to close inshore.
3. Salted squid on the rod is very effective
4. The reef is dangerous for kayakers. I got into trouble once as the current picks up dramatically, even at high tide!! Had to abandon the longline one day and collect the next. Be careful!! The next day 2 snapper were still alive. One trace had been bitten off!! Probably by a shark

It seems that smaller bait works better than big ones. Interesting. Salted bait is definitely the way to go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 1:45pm
The Jester View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Did you salt the pilchards or buy them salted? I've had good success with salting barracuda, kahawai not so much
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jngriffiths@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 3:18pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Salted my self. You can buy pool salt from bunnings for like 10 bucks for like 20kg. Its nice and coarss which is what you want.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 6:40pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Longlines should be banned. I could use a longline, but I choose not to because they are too effective, therefore put unsustainable pressure on the fishery.
Page  <12