Minn Kota on Surtees

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surfski guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minn Kota on Surtees
    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 9:06pm
Surfski guy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I’ve been given the approval to buy a Minn Kota for my Surtees 495.
I am going to get the Ultera, as it has auto deploy / stow, because climbing through the hatch to deploy it seems to defeat the purpose.

Has anyone got one on a Surtees?
If so can you post some photos of the mounting system you used?

At the moment I think I’m going to get a 12mm ali plate welded near the anchor well.

Would also like input as to battery capacity. The Ultera is 24 v and 80 lbs of thrust.

Ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:26pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Depending how far you are from Whakatane it might be worth asking Surtees what it would cost for them to do the mount, or at least how they do it. They may even be able to supply the mount for you to have welded on locally.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 1:13pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think surtees have developed a mount already. Well worth contacting them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 4:33pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used one on my 5.5.
No problems.
Excellent performance.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:44am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I could post a pic of one on a 6.1 Surtees if that helps. Auto launch.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 12:02pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm more interested on the process you went through to get approval? As with anything associated with fish, it is about learning from others to improve so would be very grateful Clown

Seriously though, with the MinKotas, where do people put the batteries or do you run off the house batteries?

TIA
Dave
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 2:08pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by NZTurtle NZTurtle wrote:

I'm more interested on the process you went through to get approval? As with anything associated with fish, it is about learning from others to improve so would be very grateful Clown

Seriously though, with the MinKotas, where do people put the batteries or do you run off the house batteries?

TIA
Dave

Most of the installations I have seen have the batteries right up the front. Those motors can draw a fair bit of juice so you want to keep those cable runs short.

Also a couple of setups I know of are running 24v motors, using 2 12v batteries in series, and don't have any capability for charging them at sea. They just use a 24v trickle charger between trips, and use large enough batteries that they can get a days fishing out of a charge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 6:50am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Also a couple of setups I know of are running 24v motors, using 2 12v batteries in series, and don't have any capability for charging them at sea. They just use a 24v trickle charger between trips, and use large enough batteries that they can get a days fishing out of a charge.
[/QUOTE]

That is the set up I have seen on the 6.1 Surtees.
Except they are down the rear of boat. Yes, up front would make more sense regarding cabling. If you can fit them in. 
As posted above, Surtees prob have already had to figure this out for a 495. My neighbour has a 495 and I suspect fitting a minkota would be more of a challenge than on the 6.1. Best to learn from their experience.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 11:56am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a 12v system on my FC 560 C/C with a 130AH battery that is good for a day in light/moderate conditions. I looses it in 25mph and swell at full throttle but at 4/10 speed it will run for most of the day at anchor lock. As your boat is a much smaller boat with a profile more like a 470 a 12V system will be adequate.
As for the battery there are 130AH AGM deep cycle batteries (for solar but much more forgiving than a wet cell) for $339 on TM that I would go for as after 2.5 years my wet cell is getting tired. The AGM have many more recharge cycles when used heavily before degrading the battery.
Just make sure that you recharge with a 7 stage smart charger EVERY use.
Having said that ... go for it they are absolutely brilliant additions to a fishing weapon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surfski guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 8:46pm
Surfski guy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

I have a 12v system on my FC 560 C/C with a 130AH battery that is good for a day in light/moderate conditions. I looses it in 25mph and swell at full throttle but at 4/10 speed it will run for most of the day at anchor lock. As your boat is a much smaller boat with a profile more like a 470 a 12V system will be adequate.
As for the battery there are 130AH AGM deep cycle batteries (for solar but much more forgiving than a wet cell) for $339 on TM that I would go for as after 2.5 years my wet cell is getting tired. The AGM have many more recharge cycles when used heavily before degrading the battery.
Having said that ... go for it they are absolutely brilliant additions to a fishing weapon.

Cheers for that. I’ve seen you out at Omaha a couple of times.
I think I need to go for the Ulterra, as is self stow and deploy. It’s 24 volt though.
I will buy it at this years boat show, once I’ve had a good chat to the sales guys.
Hopefully get a good deal
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:48pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Surfski guy Surfski guy wrote:

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Cheers for that. I’ve seen you out at Omaha a couple of times.
I think I need to go for the Ulterra, as is self stow and deploy. It’s 24 volt though.
I will buy it at this years boat show, once I’ve had a good chat to the sales guys.
Hopefully get a good deal

You wont need the 24v model which are a lot more expensive as is the auto stow model. Plus the 24v model needs 2 expensive batteries. For your size of boat the 12v will work and its not much effort to lift it up ... at least not worth the extra $2k  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 7:54pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I got a specially designed bracket for the 495 from Andrew at Surtees in Aucklands North Shore branch. Strong and really effective all alloy. Tell him Colin referred you ftom Papamoa.
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT