Sullivans Dam and Southern Reservoir Dunedin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pixelpixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sullivans Dam and Southern Reservoir Dunedin
    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 5:51pm
pixelpixie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi everyone, and Happy New Year! Hope you all had a good Christmas.
I have just started fishing again, I havent fresh-water fished for about 30 years so I've been practising on the Southern Reservoir and at Sullivans Dam in Dunedin  for a few weeks now.
I know I'm a complete novice and really dont know what I'm doing but I would have thought after fishing almost every day, sometimes twice a day for a few weeks, I'd have had more than just one nibble, right?  Admittedly that one nibble did turn into a landed rainbow trout, but the fact that was the one and only nibble I've even had, I now suspect it was just a fluke.
My question is, are there actually any fish in these locations? I never really see anyone else catching anything either. 
What lures should I be using?
And lastly, for now, is there anywhere in Dunedin I can get lessons?  I would love to spend a few hours with someone just going over the basics, and get some hints and tips, so I can try and get the best use of my licence and gear.
Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:55pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by pixelpixie pixelpixie wrote:

Hi everyone, and Happy New Year! Hope you all had a good Christmas.
I have just started fishing again, I havent fresh-water fished for about 30 years so I've been practising on the Southern Reservoir and at Sullivans Dam in Dunedin  for a few weeks now.
I know I'm a complete novice and really dont know what I'm doing but I would have thought after fishing almost every day, sometimes twice a day for a few weeks, I'd have had more than just one nibble, right?  Admittedly that one nibble did turn into a landed rainbow trout, but the fact that was the one and only nibble I've even had, I now suspect it was just a fluke.
My question is, are there actually any fish in these locations? I never really see anyone else catching anything either. 
What lures should I be using?
And lastly, for now, is there anywhere in Dunedin I can get lessons?  I would love to spend a few hours with someone just going over the basics, and get some hints and tips, so I can try and get the best use of my licence and gear.
Thanks.

Best option by far would be to join a club .... there is one listed in Dunedin operating from Tomohawk Drive,

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigEarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 12:23am
BigEarn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, there should be heaps of fish in Sullivans Dam and usually you can spot a few cruising in the shallows among the weeds or around the inlet. They should also be smashing caddis flies during the evening rise at this time of year. Never spin fished the dam though, only fly fished it and never seen people with lures catching as much as those with fly. I'd suspect you'd spook a lot of the fish with a lure that you could catch with fly. Size 14 or 16 gold bead Hare and Copper Nymphs or midges stripped in in short strips were lethal during the day and you could get 5 or more fish in a few hours regularly without problem. If you're not into fly fishing, you might still be able to fish two nymphs under a light bubble float. I'd use the smallest bubble float you can get (something like this https://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/bubble_float.html), add about 2m of 6lbs trace with a size 14 goldor copper bead Hare and Copper nymph (something like this https://www.troutflies.com.au/images/source/Bead_Head_hair_and_copper.jpg), then tie another 30-40cm of 6lbs to the shank of the nymph and tie a small unweighted midge/buzzer (something like this http://www.sanjuanriverflies.com/Zebra-Midge-Zebmdg.htm) to it. Cast it out, let the flies sink and sit for a minute, then (very) slowly retrieve it a meter or two with a few light twitches, let them sink and sit again, repeat...on a windy day, you can just cast them out a few meters from the bank, where it is reasonably deep and let the float drift. Strike if the float suddenly stops drifting or gets pulled down. If you go to one of the fishing stores in town, they should be able to help you out finding the flies and helping you with the set up.