Early arvo hunting a few carrots - Muriwai magic

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early arvo hunting a few carrots - Muriwai magic
    Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:19pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

With strong onshore winds out here on the East a plan was hatched to head out West for a surfcast in search for a few carrots, the swell was under a meter with offshore winds which was a perfect recipe for one of my low tide spots. Although a little strong with rain in the forecast these are the days I love, less crowed as most like to stay at home wrapped up warm and dry....

The Sis was keen to tag a long (more keen than the mates) With a low around 11.00 we headed off and hit the sand just after 8.00, we slowly made our way North. With a small swell and wet sand you can head along the beach a little earlier on the tide. half way along there were lots of Gannets working just off shore - it was looking pretty fishy. The plan was to head to a spot where we wade across a little gut to a bank and fish a channel that sometimes hold Gurnard. The plan was to see if we could get onto a couple of plump carrots for tea.

Finding our spot I wasn't to sure how keen the sis was but she was up to the challenge, she followed me out close to chest deep to the little bank I like to fish from. My first hook up was the usual West coast Kahawai, then she hooked a little lemon shark. As the tide dropped it got a little easier to cross over and re bait a little quicker - we only get about 2hrs on this spot before we get pushed off.

My second bait went in but this time hooking up it felt a little different, and sure enough winding in there was a flicker of orange in the waves and up popped a nice little carrot - we were on the board. My Sis caught a couple more lemons with another carrot going to me. While back at the car getting a fresh bait the sis hooked into what she thought was another lemon, but looking back out she was wading back chest deep with the target species and a big smile.

With that tide coming in quick we managed only one more cast each, with one more carrot between us. What an awesome arvo it turned out to be - the sis loved it being the first time she had to wade and I was pretty impressed with the commitment (she called it extreme fishing) I just love Muriwai and it was extra special today to come home with a few of the target species we set out to catch.

Tight lines

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:10pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good sizes too FW! Great day out in the elements
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 6:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Blardy good fish right there. Like
Best gurnard fisherman in my street