Blocking appointment to review panel

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blocking appointment to review panel
    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 12:50pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What if this scientist is correct in her summation that the “quota management system is broken” NZ first is blocking her appointment to the fisheries review panel because of bias.....
Including people who have differing views leads to a more robust discussion, with better outcomes, NZ first are wrong in my opinion

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/108752100/nz-first-blocking-scientists-fisheries-review-appointment-over-bias-claims
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:15pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We all know that the system if broken just based on the ongoing depletion of the resource and governments inability or unwillingness to take the steps required to fix it. It has long been suspected that NZF, despite their election policies, are in the pocket of the fishing industry. 
Basically nothing in that report that you wouldn't expect unfortunately. The industry wants the review stacked with 'it's' people so we can spend $18M of tax payer money to make the QMS work even better for them as the desired outcome. It also takes another review off the table for years, so this is a vitally important opportunity to stack the results under a friendly government.
So cameras are off, review of QMS with only 'friendly' reviewers. Looks like the industry might have made some wise 'investments' at the last election.
I wonder if any recreational angling reps have been asked to participate in the review?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 3:35pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

/www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/96106426/fishing-company-talleys-bankrolling-shane-jones-nz-first-campaign?rm=a

Ask Sir Peter Talley if his fishing company is donating to New Zealand First's political campaign and he will say "no comment."

Try again and he'll say, "Can't you f...ing understand English?" and hang up the phone. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 3:48pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stinks doesn't it. You can only really call it legalised corruption. Why would a company like Talleys for instance just happen to pick a bunch of MP's to donate to, from both parties, who just happen to be on a select committee that could affect Talleys. When you are giving money to both parties MP's it obviously isn't because you like one parties policies better. It is quite obviously an attempt to buy their loyalty.

It is just wrong, and even more wrong because they feel quite safe in doing this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 5:35pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dreaming here but if all recreational fishers gave $5 a week to legasea and there are 1 million of us then we would have a very very strong lobby group.

Maybe we could start paying some MPs ...I mean donating to some campaigns?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 6:17pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Never match what the comms could 'donate' and probably already are. Better to start buying back quota if we could and reduce the comm catch. That would require some changes though so would need tied down forever legislation. There is another thought though - what if the recs owned quota and then fished it (appropriately) for the profits to fund more quota purchases or better representation etc. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 11:48am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here we go again....changes to the quota system are nigh on impossible now, with entrenched property rights etc, and Dave, the recording of rec fishing’s catch of quota would be ...interesting, to say the least.
The answer is obvious to my mind. A fishing license. As I have said a thousand times before. It is the easiest to implement method of pulling in dollars for rec fishing representation there is. Just as long as he money goes to rec fishing bodies, not just govt slush fund coffers....it needs to be to fund rec fishing representation and initiatives....not another tax by the govt to pay for already provided services and bureaucracy.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 12:45pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No No Capt, it is our birth right to go fishing,why should we pay a licence??
So some will say, I have said it before unless we contribute of some form we have no say!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 3:26pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A license would have to be enabled by the government, so income would be spent as the government wants. Better would be a subscription to a recreational body that would be accountable to its members only.
Buying back quota, and retiring it, would be a great move.  I would contribute to a fund to buy back quota. Come on, Legasea, do it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 7:24pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We all know that the system if broken just based on the ongoing depletion of the resource and governments inability or unwillingness to take the steps required to fix it.

Is it the system...
OR the people within that system setting incorrect quota?

I suspect very strongly it is the ppl who admin that are the problem.
 ie  If the quotas of the current system where set to levels of recovery, then would recovery take place? And therefore the system is ok.. with the correct ppl making corect calls.

On that basis yes I can see how the NZ quota SYSTEM is held in high regard internationally.. they just dont see just how our resources in many areas are depleting..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 7:29pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We need Graeme Sinclair on the case LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 9:07pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You own the quota you must own the vessel and fish the quota not sub let it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 7:38pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I tend to agree with Capt Asparagus. Licencing is the only way rec fishers will get a kitty together to improve their lot. pjc, it was my great great grandfathers birthright to defend his property by shooting someone trying to steal something.  Not any more. I think birthrights are a thing of the past. Letsgetem, the Fish and Game licencing model works well and has for some time.  OK there would be some issues with a customary take but they could be worked through. The Government doesn't spend Fish and Games money.  The only part they get is the GST component.  I pay 70 bucks for a trout licence and 90 for a gamebird licence.  I'd quite happily pay another 50 or so if it would help our salt water fishery get better.
Not trying to start a sh*it fight.  Just my opinion.