Gamefishing Updates - Tutukaka - 18/19

Topic Closed

Page  <1 456
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 8:46pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished the last 2 days of the Tuts Onebase (Friday Saturday) as the first 2 were unfishable for us. Found the fish off Oceans late Friday. Had a couple on on Saturday but dropped them both and a Big arrrse shark too. Hope to get out again soon just need the weather to play ball. 
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:49pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Doug. Hard luck.
We remained luckless on marlin yesterday but did manage a few delicious tarakihi and a modest puka.. And we lost what I reckon was a big puka on the way up.
Thanks for nice weekend Simon.
Might get out for fish next week if weather plays ball and try some livebaiting down off oceans.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 5:50pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Threw in an extra 100l of fuel into the lazer while the orginal plan was to just dog leg our way over to the chicks for a regular dive and heard over the radio that marlin were feeding in 78m off oceans once at tara rocks popping kingfish.

Ended up unfortunately or not unfortunately with the first ball of fish (pilchards) getting smoked by a big blue. By the time the boys had the spearguns loaded the action was over and the bait ball was moving too quick(probably for the better admittedly we didnt have them loaded as expected to not see jackrabbit).

Spent the next hour or two messing around just covering ground and hopping in on the bait balls ranging between 85-95m off oceans.

The blokes out there are good buggers and for a first time messing about learnt some good things to increase the odds next time! Hopefully didnt step on anyones toes out there. Most the bait we saw were pilchards.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 3:44pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No lure out??

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 5:31pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

Threw in an extra 100l of fuel into the lazer while the orginal plan was to just dog leg our way over to the chicks for a regular dive and heard over the radio that marlin were feeding in 78m off oceans once at tara rocks popping kingfish.

Ended up unfortunately or not unfortunately with the first ball of fish (pilchards) getting smoked by a big blue. By the time the boys had the spearguns loaded the action was over and the bait ball was moving too quick(probably for the better admittedly we didnt have them loaded as expected to not see jackrabbit).

Spent the next hour or two messing around just covering ground and hopping in on the bait balls ranging between 85-95m off oceans.

The blokes out there are good buggers and for a first time messing about learnt some good things to increase the odds next time! Hopefully didnt step on anyones toes out there. Most the bait we saw were pilchards.

Just back from up there, was that you guys in the lazer craft diving out on the end of the Chicks. My mate has a Bertram 31 called Buccaneer, saw couple marlin feeding but by time we go there they had gone. Plenty of bait balls around but no fish on a lot of them, had a troll around, got excited when all 4 rods went off but turned out to be kings.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 8:56pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Just back from up there, was that you guys in the lazer craft diving out on the end of the Chicks. My mate has a Bertram 31 called Buccaneer, saw couple marlin feeding but by time we go there they had gone. Plenty of bait balls around but no fish on a lot of them, had a troll around, got excited when all 4 rods went off but turned out to be kings.

Will be trying to get back out this weekend to try poke a hole in marlin if the forecast is under 15knots again. The bait was definitely there at the moment.

Funny enough the marlin we saw was 500m from where we marked the bait at 9am when we zig-zagged out to the chicks.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:59am
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Saw you fullas at the chicks - trying for live KY baits Tzer? We were in a green Surtees on the North side .Waved out to you to come across our burley trail as there were heaps in it but I think you may have thought we were waving you off. Tried to get you on ch7 but couldnt get a response.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 5:23pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by NZTurtle NZTurtle wrote:

Saw you fullas at the chicks - trying for live KY baits Tzer? We were in a green Surtees on the North side .Waved out to you to come across our burley trail as there were heaps in it but I think you may have thought we were waving you off. Tried to get you on ch7 but couldnt get a response.

We thought that may have been the case but it a big no no to go through someones burley trail, I know I get very anal about it. How did you get on. Radio wasnt working the best Neils has to replace the airiel.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 6:47am
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not that great but was a beautl morning on the water. We get grumpy too with peopel in the trail but we tried to wave you in as there weren't many good sized snaps around... If we had taken heavy gear, we woudl have been off to the bigger fish too Smile
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 8:16pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a day of oceans today along with many others. Saw maybe a couple on the sounder down at 70m but no Marlin bites and as far as I can gather none caught today. Full moon? All the masses of bait that was there a couple weeks ago mostly gone. Water was 19.4 everywhere. Caught a 12kg kingy in 90m on a big lure in the morning and a Mako in the arvo. Tough day and weather was crap till about 15:00 too. Don't know when I can get out again. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 9:17am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah was quiet for us on billfish front.... having said that turning being consistently in wrong place into an art form. Launched at Leigh with my 19 yr old daughter who I'd promised a great forecast. We trolled from south of Hen out to Mokes in the morning. Heard someone got a triple strike in 97 meters off chicks which all turned out to be big kings.
Got a bit squally and choppy on way across in morning so we took shelter at Mokes and filled bin on snapper. Had hoped to fish for puka out back but was pretty lumpy till about 2pm.
Trip back was good one and we slowed down and put few skippy lures out half way back and caught a few from visible surface schools.Was thinking could well be a marlin there but time was running out so didn't put one out as a live bait. Is not bad looking area between hen and little barrier, holding lot of bait which have noticed in last few season's at this time of year.

Daughter seemed to enjoy her day with bit game fishing mixed in with snapper fishing. She also liked looking at mokohinau islands. Even asked if I could drop in on Burgess island. Which I didn't but noticed was a contingent of LBGers who'd got on rocks.
Hopefully get another shot off Tuts early May.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 9:28pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good report Shane👍
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 9:59pm
Bakes View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Quiet 2 days for us off Oceans. Bit of bait scattered around the place but not thick like a week ago. Found skippies and baitfish feeding off eastern end of coppermine and a massive pod of dolphins, gannets and shearwaters feeding on sauri in 125 off Kauri mt. No marlin seen.
I love catching fish. But fishing isn't always about catching.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 9:33pm
9628 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Oceans was loaded with skippys today in 50m fill your boots everyone
The trawlers will get em otherwise
Came home with 14
sushied 3 absolutely delicous
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 3:52pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium