Brisbane to Cairns road trip advice

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brisbane to Cairns road trip advice
    Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:44pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi
About to fly over to Brizzy and do a camper relocation over 6 days to Cairns. Anyone got some ideas on good beaches to park up at enroute with good campgrounds.
Planning on doing some fishing early mornings before driving.
Bit worried about saltie crocs.
Will take a variety of small jigs and lures as well maybe some bait and a surf reel.
Cheers
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 5:03pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've done the camper van thing around Cairns, sorry, can't remember which beaches we stayed at, but had a good time. Bearing in mind, I had no idea what I was doing, I managed to catch quite a few fish surfcasting using bait, mainly rays and sharks. Nothing edible, but a lot of fun. I was worried about crocs too and think it is a justified worry. I would proceed with extreme caution in estuarine areas, and even be wary on open beaches in the north.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Westy87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 8:24pm
Westy87 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bowen Wharf used to produce some good fish and at night some easy to catch squid plus a nice camp ground too it's two hours south of Townsville go have a beer and a feed at the Grand view Tavern on the corner Friday nights it should be packed with backpackers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:05am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

as least you can relax about crocs until you get to about Rockhampton, after that you're literally live bait - but more of a concern once you get towards Cairns.
Areas like boat ramps and popular fishing spots where people clean fish, discard bait etc, are the worst.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 2:17pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Last year I went to Rockhampton to fish for barramundi. I fished guideless and from the shore. If you want to have a go for barra i found a spot 60km ? south of Rocky down the Port Alma road. Its worth a look and is possible to fish from the bank and keep out of a crocs way ?  Saw a snake though !

If you are serious about catching a barra.. i would hire a guide. Oh and barra season ends at the end of Oct.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 3:09pm
Silver
Silver

Good tips guys. I'm probably going to stick to ocean fishing until Rocky. And then jetty wharf fishing after. Seen Urangan pier at Hervey Bay. Looks mean 800m out. Dudes catching tuna!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 4:06pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if you have a light spin stick, there are some beautiful estuary systems north of Brisbane (Sunshine Coast and north) where you can catch flathead etc in the sand flats from the shore, just wading up to your knees. Light jigheads with curly tail grubs is the go, or small hard body lures.
I bought a 4pc Shimano Raider travel rod over there for about $100 which is great for lightish lure fishing. 
Take some chrome lures for the small pelagics such as tailor. 
Or better still, just go into one of the great tackle stores and buy some local lure favourites and get a few tips from the locals. They are always really welcoming of visitors, I found.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 4:39pm
Silver
Silver

Cool Tamure. You bet about the friendly locals. Hoping to visit Alvey and also looking to get a 10-12ft Low Mount Rod while over there too.