Jigging setup advise.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Billz121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jigging setup advise.
    Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:45am
Billz121 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All,

Newbie to the forum and been heavily reading about jigging and thought i'm going to take the plunge! However, being new I thought its better to ask. I  know its more advisable to go ahead and get a good setup out the bat or jump on a charter.  Having said that, I already have a shimano t curve 400 sitting around from a friend. So, the whole new beast is the reel matchup for me?

What would you advise going for as a matchup or if the shimano would not be worthwhile as a rod? I mean i am not looking to jump into the upper market quite yet.... but then the budget differences is a real tough one for jigging it seems! 

Currently, I just want to get out and give it a shot and get hooked!!! 

any advice on second hand reels or good entry levels to look out for as a entry/guide would be great. I did check out the beginner guide reels but wanted to pick others brains for a ideal match up and this goes beyond me currently! 

Any advice regarding my rod or any welcomed keep clear is also helpful! kind of want a bit of grunt/drag to match the rod. *which hits the wallet Cry*

Look forward to any feedback.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:30pm
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

personally I think a t curve 400g is only pleasant to use on 20kg plus fish (bit of a broomstick). depends where you will be fishing though as if you want the most fun a lighter set up is where id be heading. and best advice for purchasing is 2nd hand. you can pick up a high quality set for close to mid range budget or better. and if you start with the good gear you will get hooked so much faster. you want to jig with spin or overhead?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:21pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah it’s tough to know where to start, Few years ago I bought a pretty entry level set up and didn’t have too many ideas what to get, pretty shortly after upgraded to a synit/accurate combo cos I was pumped on jigging.
If I was you I would be looking for a decent second hand setup, there’s a decent jigstar/jigging master PE5 set on trademe at the moment (not mine). You can’t go past jigstar rods for value/quality. Those T-curves are pretty average tbh.
6.7m Surtees PureFisher - "Kraken"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Billz121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 5:43pm
Billz121 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I Really appreciate the help! Turns out, i did some further research after looking at what you suggested and opted for a Catch Pro series Extreme 200-400 for my rod!! 

Reel wise a real top bloke has a Penn Fathom for me for starters.

From here I can work on up!

Cheers,