Wire up Electric Reel to House Battery ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wire up Electric Reel to House Battery ?
    Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 8:38am
Nav View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all, this is my first posting......hope someone can help...
Have just bought my wife a Diawa Tanacom 1000 as a very early Christmas present and want to wire it up to the House Battery.....can this be done and if so how do I do it ?
All your advice will be greatly appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 10:26am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Buy the correct plug so you can plug in the reel power lead. Wire the plug via a fuse (size is probably in the owners manual I would guess) to the house battery distribution panel/buzz bar if there is one handy, or to the instrument side of the house battery switch if that is easier for cockpit access. You can either mount the plug into the side of the cockpit somewhere reasonably protected or have it on a longish cord so you can move around further.
The other option that may be easier is to buy a small ~20A/H battery and put it in a simple carry case. One battery will last for several days of normal use.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 12:03pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Most people recommend using a separate battery, to avoid issues with power fluctuations, and draining the house battery. That said, I always run mine straight off the house battery using the supplied alligator clips, without any issues. It does mean there is no fuse in the system however. They normally draw about 10A working but can draw up to 30A on stall, so any wiring/fuse/plug  needs to be able to handle such loads. 

The wires in the power cable where it enters the reel are prone to failure due to overbending so avoid stressing this area, and treat your wife to a spare cable. They aren't cheap ($100+) but nor is having to abandon a trip out wide.    

I've known a couple to fail due to water getting in to the motor, so protect the reel from spray when you are driving the boat, and be wary when washing it - a wipe down is probably better than a rinse with the hose.

If you are out wide looking for puka/bluenose during summer, you may well be in gamefishing country, so you should probably buy your wife a couple of game sets as well Wink  

treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ameliaharry654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 11:56pm
ameliaharry654 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Buy correct plug, I think there is no issue with device except plug.