8hp 2 Stroke Starts then stalls

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8hp 2 Stroke Starts then stalls
    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 8:18pm
Blucky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

8hp 2 stroke tiller engine starts and runs but then stalls after a bit.
Will only start again if I tilt the engine up and pull cord slowly a couple of times to clear system.

I think it may be something to do with the oil/fuel mix.

It was running fine with some older fuel I had, but after getting new outboard oil and fuel in it seems to have started happening.

Would too much oil in the mix cause these issues?

Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 8:55pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sounds like a fuel issue. I'm assuming you have opened the vent on your tote tank! What mix ratio did you use?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 8:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Will only start again if I tilt the engine up and pull cord slowly a couple of times to clear system.

Did you also pump the fuel bulb?
 What engine, how old?

If too much oil it will smoke far more, espec if mineral.. not a synthetic blend..even 2x (15 or 25:1) but will run.

Checked the plugs?
How old? carboned up?

Thu at this point sounds like a carb issue...
 Has the carb ever been pulled down?
Checked the carb mounting bolts, bowl mounting screws?

Is the timing magneto?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 8:49am
Blucky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Engine is mercury 2012, barely been used less than 3 hours on it.
Haven't checked plugs but I'd say they're fine since they can still start engine first pop after sitting for a while.

Carb never been pulled apart but I doubt it would need to be at this age.

Unsure about timing system sorry, but it's pretty new.

Pumped fuel bulb til it was hard and started engine, vent open on tote tank.

Funny thing was that whenever i took the fuel cable off at the engine there was plenty of fuel pressure still, and also when it was running, when I pumped the bulb then the engine would die so I was thinking maybe its excess oil mixture, making it too lean and stalling. 

Mix is supposed to be 100:1, but the mix itself is probably closer to 75:1
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nickb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 4:07pm
Nickb1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

dont discount the spark plugs, they can break down and stop working once hot, HT leads can do the same thing, good test would be to run it until it stops, pull plug and while turning it over, check for good spark.
Could also be getting flooded, which will be needing a carb strip down and clean
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 5:32pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

similar problem on a 6hp evinrude,ran fine till hot then would cut out,wait restart go a bit more then cut out.Turned out to be a resistor thingy getting hot and breaking down,once replaced never had  an issue till someone liked it better than me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 11:47am
Blucky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Turns out it was just too much oil in the fuel mix causing it to run lean and stall.
Won't be making that mistake again LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 2:50pm
Blucky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ok so I just took it out and it ran fine for a while got on a plane and then it choked out again.
Currently stuck out from kawakawa bay lol
Any advice would be appreciated.

Can’t seem to get her going again
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 5:05pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What sort of choke system does it have? Any chance the choke is stuck on?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 5:30pm
Blucky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Standard choke just a pull lever straight to a valve you can see everything apart from what’s inside the carb.

Could it possibly still be the oil mix? It says it can take as much as a 25:1 mix.

Would it be the adjustable screws on the carb?

Took it home, started and ran fine with the muffs on again. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nickb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 1:14pm
Nickb1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Have to cleaned carbs? could be water in the fuel, drain the carbs into somthing and see if it has water in the fuel

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 4:02pm
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have had similar trouble with my old engine.  After a lot of head scratching and pulling things apart found it was just air getting into the fuel line via the fuel tank fitting. The more throttle used the more air was being sucked into the fuel line & it would conk out.   Check for fuel leak at the tank and engine fittings.