Penn goldie hollow dacron query

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 12:24pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Will do. If that doesn't work, I will try and invent something. Basically need something the water can penetrate right through. I guess drilling out a regular line spool may do - but their design looked good.
Thanks
Alan

Nothing that a Plastic bulk line spool and a hole saw wouldn't fix.
On to it. But the Swifty ones look good with their sparse frame - good for drying/washing. I am figuring on fitting a hose snap-on fitting to the core to pressure wash. The drying bit won't be so successful unless I can find a way to force some warm air thru. But I plan to have something up and running in the next few days.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 7:06am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, this is were I have got to. Not quite as good as a Swifty spool, but seems to work and cost $14 so far (brass fitting). I got lucky and scored a couple of suffix braid spools from tackle shop. They had just the right inner core to accept the male thread of the 3/4 BSP brass fitting. I cut the inner thread in the spool on my lathe. Drilled about 100 small holes in the core. Wound the line on with as little tension as possible (just the clicker running). There is a km of hollow braid on the spool (80W).
I was able to hook the hose on and leave running for a while. Pushed water thru no problem. Won't dry as well as a Swifty, but I then hooked my compressor to the nozzle and that pushed a lot of water out. Looks like a useful system.
In the background of pic is another spool I was going to try. Supercheap use them for wires, vacuum hose etc. They are throw aways and they were happy to dump them. They are expandable to 3 widths. You could get a quite thin layer of line on the widest width, which would help with washing/drying.
Just waiting on Canuba wax to coat reel drum , and will wind back on.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 7:35am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The main trouble with hollow lines Alan is the salt crystals will end up inside the line, warm water will help to dissolve it.
Like the way you thinkThumbs Up
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 8:27am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This reel has not had much use since the dacron went on and the drum is pristine. I am using this as a test system. I did soak the spool of dacron in a bucket of warm water before flushing it. But yes, this system will not be perfect. The nice thing about the Swifty spools is they are very open, so washing is probably very effective. But by the time they arrive from US (if still avail), I will be back in Vtu. And I am very keen to re do those 50W reels before I leave them packed up for the summer months. Will take these spools and other bits over with me.
Regards
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 7:51pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, just an update for future use for others.
I have now done 6 reels this way - one more to go in next day or so. 2 80Ws and 5 50Ws in total. All on hollow dacron. A few points;
The reels that had the most use have the corrosion on the spool. May sound obvious. But they have all had the dacron on for same length of time and all been in salt water. But generally I fish solo and only use 3x 50Ws. I have done 2 of those and corrosion on both spools. The 2 other 80s (used occasionally) and 2 other 50s (used when I run 5 rods - outriggers), are perfect on the spools. So it is the amount they are used, not the time the line is on them.
The power wash, as in pic seems to work very well. And I soak in warm water for an hr or two before that. The compressor drying - hooked on to the hose fitting on spool, seems to work very well. I am re-spooling next morning after blowing the water out. The outside is dry, the inside may be damp, at most, but definitely not wet.
The canuba wax, I am not sure about - at these temps (25-30 deg) it is semi liquid. not sure how much it will do for the spool, but I am using it anyway.
In addition I have painted the cleaned corrosion spots and then clear nail varnish.
Ready for big fish again. Rain and wind due to clear by end of week. 
Regards from Vtu.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 9:12pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alan if it helps I lightly coat my reel spool arbors with vaseline and sometimes Inox the organic grease as well.

But as to the line and salt, well you are on to it, Titahi's suggestion of greasing the line is interesting, bit like tarring the hemp rope in yee ole days to waterproof and provide longevity.LOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 12:02pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Titahi's suggestion of greasing the line is interesting, bit like tarring the hemp rope in yee ole days to waterproof and provide longevity.LOL

Just for clarification, I didnt suggest you coat the dacron with grease as Catchalot mis intrepretated, Just the reel arbour, only the bottom 20 odd meters of the line will come into contact with it, and if it ever see's the light of day, grease on the line  will be the least of your worries.........
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 5:41pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just the reel arbour, only the bottom 20 odd meters of the line will come into contact with it, and if it ever see's the light of day, grease on the line  will be the least of your worries.........
[/QUOTE]
LOL. Oh so true.
As it turns out 2 of the 50s had a bit of corrosion on the side of the spool. Everything else is pristine. May have just got there in time. Bit of a mission, for 7 reels - two of them 80s. Several days work. But done now. Til next time.
Thanks for the advice guys.
Regards
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Page  <12