Oldy but goody

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oldy but goody
    Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:41pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have you got a certain item of fishing gear that you couldn't bare to part with because it has meaning, not just a purpose?
I still have a rod I purchased myself about the age of 8-9. It's made of outdated fibreglass construction, tattered, all the eyes have been replaced, bonded on with mono and two pot resin. The Ryobi spin reel it was matched with is long gone but the rod remains. I also have a bait knife my sister bought for me around the same time (early 80s) and I still use now days.
I sometimes think I might fit a reel to the old broomstick and see if it's still got a fight or two left in it.
Got gear like this yourself?
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:48pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

old cane rod with the baker light type reel,donated to me about 25yrs ago and it was old when I got it,last used in 1995 with a 14lb snapper,only one speed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 8:22pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have so much of that stuff it's not funny. A Penn Spinfisher 850SS from 1991 on a Kilwell Jellytip rod (probably seized solid) A Penn Jigmaster 505HS (probably seized solid), plenty of reels from the 70's (probably seized solid) a Penn Senator 9/0 on a Senator rod I bought at the Boat Show in 2003 from Lethal (RIP) called George, A Synit Hellbent that was handed down from Tiny (RIP) to John Moran (RIP) to me (no RIP Smudge anytime soon I hope). 
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 8:34pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I still have my first ever fishing rod.
It is an old solid fibreglass one piece rod about 6ft in length, it has 2 aluminium rings as a reel seat on the wooden handle. It isnt quite original as it has had new guides fitted. My fathers boss bought it for me when i was 5 or 6 years of age, I am coming up 63 in less than a months time. It has caught countless herrings in the Waimak and Avon rivers [and the odd trout as well] when i was younger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 8:48pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nothing antique, but I'm cursed with OCD and take really good care of my gear. I have 25 year old reels that look almost new, but are outdated. They are heavy by modern standards and the drags are awful. Not worth selling, rarely used, but can't bear to part with them. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 8:55pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Probably my oldest bit of winter fishing kit is a 30plus year old swandri. Irreplaceable.
I've got an early 90's Shimano Bantam 50 and about 9 original Baitrunners which are my go to reels.

Cant wait for Al to see this. He'll have Zane Greys rods/reels hidden away in that museum of his. Come on Catchalot, fess up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 10:19pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As a kid I was always in awe of my old man's fishing reel. He looked after his gear and his Penn Silver Beach No. 99 reel was meticulously washed and oiled after each use. He has gone now but he passed it on to me around year 2000. I treat it with the same care as he did and visually it looks almost new. The bearings are great and spool rotation in free spool is amazing. The drag is not so flash but I'm sure this could be rectified with some new drag washers. I've taken it out a few times but the 3:1 retrieve ratio is somewhat painful compared to the modern day reels. I'll never part with it for sentimental reasons. It would have been purchased in the late 1950s so it's around 60 years old now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 10:25pm
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have my first fly rod a CD 7-8w that I got with my first ever paycheck that I still fish with on the lakes, my daiwa magforce which has taken more fish than any of my new reels on a silstar 7ft cystil tip, it hangs at the bottom of the rack.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 3:07am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I have so much of that stuff it's not funny. A Penn Spinfisher 850SS from 1991 on a Kilwell Jellytip rod (probably seized solid) A Penn Jigmaster 505HS (probably seized solid), plenty of reels from the 70's (probably seized solid) a Penn Senator 9/0 on a Senator rod I bought at the Boat Show in 2003 from Lethal (RIP) called George, A Synit Hellbent that was handed down from Tiny (RIP) to John Moran (RIP) to me (no RIP Smudge anytime soon I hope). 
Maybe I'm a bit old Fashioned myself SmudgeLOL That 1991 Jellytip and penn reel are still my go to set ups for Big Snap Straylining! Tried many a rod including the latest Shimano Carbonlite's. prefer the Jellytips anyday.Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 3:39am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My much loved Mitchell 489 .. purchased from Birkenhead sports shop late 1980s .. used extensively when younger paired with a12 foot beach baron from killwell and later a 15 ft butterworth one piece. Used a lot at Pakiri rocks southern end but also visited ninety mile and hamiltons gap regularly, and manukau heads signal station, and fished locally at Campbell's bay for last 30 years. Recall catching lots of big snapper to almost 20 lb at Pakiri and huge gurnard at grahams beach.
Drag makes awesome noise. Have repainted it myself. Still use it occasionally and couple years ago I got a 80 odd plus cm kingi on it at my local Campbell's bay rocks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 8:08am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Note to self :-  Never sell a rod or reel to Smudge !!!
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:06am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by salty69 salty69 wrote:

Probably my oldest bit of winter fishing kit is a 30plus year old swandri. Irreplaceable.
I've got an early 90's Shimano Bantam 50 and about 9 original Baitrunners which are my go to reels.

Cant wait for Al to see this. He'll have Zane Greys rods/reels hidden away in that museum of his. Come on Catchalot, fess up.

Haha let me see what I can dig up DaveEmbarrassed
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 11:32am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I recently biffed my first ever boat rod. Penn Seaboy. It had a couple of broken guides and had no practical application. I felt a slight pang of guilt when the front-end loader ran it over at the tip, but I've moved on. I used to be a bit of a serial hoarder of things with some sentimental value but I'm trying to be more pragmatic these days. I did keep the reel off it though - smaller, more practical to hang on to, and I just like reels :)

I have a Penn International II 80S on a shelf that I will probably never get rid of. I have never fished it and likely never will; it is missing a couple of components like the rod clamp. I bought it from an estate sale at a very good price despite the missing parts. However, as a fishing-obsessed kid, I worshipped the International II. To me they were the original "goldie"; I remember a family friend letting me hold one and it was like meeting a superhero or something. So I think it's really cool to have something you coveted as a kid but could never conceive of actually owning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 4:20pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have one of these in the man cave. Everol Special 6/0 circa 1973. Spooled with new 15 kg line and recently serviced, it may even get a run this coming game season
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 5:11pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My father in laws rig (RIP).
I don't think he ever caught a fish on it.

I will take it out soon and catch a nice snapper on it for him.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 5:41pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by KikBac KikBac wrote:

I have one of these in the man cave. Everol Special 6/0 circa 1973. Spooled with fresh line and recently serviced, it may get a run this coming game season

They look so cool.  If anyone has an old one kicking around they want to sell fairly cheap I'd love to hang one on the wall.  Doesn't need to work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 8:39pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Mr Moritz Mr Moritz wrote:

My father in laws rig (RIP).
I don't think he ever caught a fish on it.

I will take it out soon and catch a nice snapper on it for him.

Same with these , will buy nice alveys.. and will use em, using at least 40 yr old one now.. brilliant on gurnard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 5:16pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I was brought to new Zealand in 1964 by my parents, within a short time of being here, was introduced to fishing by the local pakeha and maori kids that I went to school with. My parents bought me an old fibreglass boat rod, with Bakelite reel. I still have and use the rod, but for bigger fish than the sprats and Pakere, that it was bought for!!
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 9:20am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've still got the Penn 66 Longbeach my old man bought me for my 12th birthday. That was 52 years ago. Its got a cracked side plate but I can't bring myself to dump it.