Northland River Trout?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Northland River Trout?
    Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 1:25pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My interest in catching mudfish has reawakened for some reason. I'm keen to give the rivers in Northland a go. Not interested in eating them, just C&R. Any pointers, location, methods, time of year? Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 1:46pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Used to see and occasionally hook them in the Whakapara river that runs through the Hukerenui area off SH1 many years ago when trying to catch eels with bacon rind on the back of a cousins farm. Back then I couldn't have told you whether they were natives or Rainbows etc but I am pretty sure they were Rainbows. Maybe 2lb or so with the occasional 3lb version. Don't remember anything much bigger. Lot of farm run-off in that river even back then so wouldn't bother keeping anything even though the water clarity was pretty good at times.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 9:24am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Tagit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 7:48am
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I went for a walk along the Whakapara river last week starting at the bridge on State highway one had a few casts but water was a bit coloured from the rain will be trying again soon didnt see or hook any fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 8:12am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Probably just as well you didn't hook anything- the season is not open for that stretch of river until October 1st! If you walk downstream of there a fairly long way you'll come to the confluence of the Whakapara and the Waiotu from that point downstream is open all year long.

There is some interesting stream fishing to be had in that region, and the bigger swamp rivers hold a surprising number of trout. It is rare to catch anything bigger than a kg, but for some of the 'tight' water involved it makes for interesting fishing. An evening summer hatch is particularly good. 

There are some good spots close to Whangarei too... if you know where to look Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 7:20am
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Oops thanks for letting us know that Craig I thought it was open all year oh well back to sea fishing ffor another month will be giving it a good go this summer but exploring all the little streams up here as I only live 5 minutes away from the Whakapara stream now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 5:23pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Please let me know how you get on Lemmy. I have tried various stretches of that river in past years and didn't see anything. Tight lines!
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.