Stator change on an 86 Johnson 70HP outboard

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stator change on an 86 Johnson 70HP outboard
    Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 7:04pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey all,

We have had our stock stator fail so we have a new after market unit. Any tricks to replacing it? pull the flywheel and bolt off bolt on??

Many thanks

neil
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 8:37am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

From memory, only done it 2x and with manual..
 Anyof the timing stuff on the top.. make notes, pic of exactly how set up.
 If not 100% sure when back together, get the timing checked professionally
 It is not a simple matter of setting intial timing and checking rpm low med and full timing rpms. as in an older car.

A couple degree either way will have anything from fast idle, hard start to loading and slow destruction of the powerhead.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 12:17pm
Silver
Silver

ahhhhh roger that - I have a manual, ill have a study
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 3:44pm
Silver
Silver

Just an update - as checked the stator was well cooked, it had pushes out so much that it has damaged the flywheel. So I have swapped the stator our for a new model link here if you need one.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/302847239553?ViewItem=&item=302847239553

The stator swap was easy as, no timing changes just 4 wires to hook up and then bolt on. I have a second flywheel coming so will test it once the flywheel is back on. 

Side note: pulling the flywheel was tough, I needed to get 3 inch long 5/16 fine threaded bolts to screw into the flywheel - then purchase a flywheel puller. needed to add a bar to my strong arm to crack the wheel off.....

Hope others can use this as a how to in the future.