Dual purpose top water/soft bait rod suggestions

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Weight&Sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual purpose top water/soft bait rod suggestions
    Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 10:16pm
Weight&Sea View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all. Any one recommend a brand or model rod that can deliver on the following..

I'm looking for a two piece spinning rod that has the backbone and length to cast a 50-60 gram popper or stickbait but also an action fast enough to softbait with. Compatible with reels 6000-8000 size, fishing 30-80lb braid depending on the application.

Possible under $150? Am I asking for too much outta one rod?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 10:28pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yes, you are asking way too much.
A rod that can throw 50-60g poppers would only be a pe2-3 rod at max so a 4000-5000 size Shimano reel would be adequate. 20-30lb braid also would be ample as most overtest anyway
$150, lol, you wont buy any decent rod that can do what you want for less than $500, and that would be minimum as the rod you ask for probably hasnt been made yet.
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 12:03am
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shimano KAOS 7'11"
throw a 5000 size reel with 30lb braid and go nuts!

https://www.shimanofishing.co.nz/products/rods/all-1/kaos/specifications

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 10:01am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I get the impression your pocket depths are like ours..
I have tried, way back before got the very basic selection of go to rods /reels.
 And even that in many ways is compromise.3 guys on a 5.5m cabin boat, 2 to 3 rods each..
 beyond that stowing can become a little messy

My go to not so ' light weight' sb/ light lure is 6 to 10 nanomatric with 30lb diawa j8 striped  braid 4000 thunus

My light weight stray line in an old okuma (702 ?) concept rod.. broke abot 6" off yrs ago)  and same braid. 4000oc reel  same braid as above.

Then general , deeper water okuma 10 to 15kg short rod (x factor ?)  6000OC  same braid.

Used to use the above for bit throwing and trolling heavier lures...thu recently.. last 12 months rather than lures tossing out with the lighter rods with SB on very light weight has been far more successful

The heavier braid certainly does knock back casting distance a little, but doesn't seen to effect the catching when others have lighter gear..

Using a rod for sb that is more designed for heavier lures .. that combo hasnt work well for us... hence the above, casting with the right colour/size  sbs instead..

I do have another short 25kg rod more for live bait with td 25.. same braid

Limitation is due to depth of pockets Wink and an accumulation of birthdays / fathers days.
 The trick is co ordination having the missus with you while looking at new gear...and she is looking at cost... then she co ordinates the children/ grandchildren to combine their presents.
 Sure beat socks LOL

Currently is an epirb.. as moving and will be crossing bars... and pushing  maybe a updated sounder.. well discounted older models.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 12:01pm
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

looked at doing this myself and pretty much always came back to the result of I need 2 rods 1 reel. not sure what rods but the new twinpower looks the one im guna get
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 1:12pm
Clay View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I use an Offshore Illusion sbs 4-8kg with a Stradic 5000 for that very purpose and it works a treat. However you wouldn't want to go much above 50g for your poppers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Weight&Sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 3:52pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks all for weighing in on this. Sounds like I need to compromise or dig in the ol' pockets a bit deeper. So...compromise it is!

I'm not going to make a decision for a little while, so I'll keep scoping it out. If I come up with anything special I'll def dig up this thread and post with the result. 

I do have access to custom rod builders in US (grew up in Florida), might see what he can do for me and if shipping it over will kill the budget... Anyway, I'll update and thanks again!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Weight&Sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 3:55pm
Bronze
Bronze

@steps

Hah, so there are others out there that work within constraints...good to know!

Hope you find your epirb, one has been on my mind for a while too! Spendy, but worth it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 4:37pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got the epirb today.. smart marine fathers day special.

Hah, so there are others out there that work within constraints
 yep I one cant afford doesnt mean you cant have one... make it. My custom bait board  with knives , drawers etc.. all the upholstery and wood work in the boat, the live bait tank and wash down  the trailer winch.. electric drill .. 5.5m 1200kg+ boat.. Folding cabin doors, privacy for ladies onboard.. and thats just some of the boat fishing stuff...

Rods.. thats bit out of my league.. in saying that I did learn how to whip back in the late 50s early 60s when the old man used to make his own rods out of cane / bamboo.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 6:30pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have to agree with the above, I think it’s too much to ask from one rod. The heavier end soft bait rods will cast 60g topwater lures, but they would be pretty useless for working them.

Just a thought. Does it have to be poppers/stickbaits? I catch plenty of legal kingies on softies and slow jigs, not donkeys admittedly, but good eaters which are fun on light gear. Big softies are easy to buy in NZ now, so worth a go?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 10:24pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Have to agree with the above, I think it’s too much to ask from one rod. The heavier end soft bait rods will cast 60g topwater lures, but they would be pretty useless for working them.

Just a thought. Does it have to be poppers/stickbaits? I catch plenty of legal kingies on softies and slow jigs, not donkeys admittedly, but good eaters which are fun on light gear. Big softies are easy to buy in NZ now, so worth a go?

Good input MB. Slug-gos, or some of the bigger integrated weight paddle tails (e.g Bozos or Storm Shad), or big paddle tails/shads on 1oz jigheads all seem to be effective on harbour kingies. I've used 1.5oz top water plugs with success off the shore on basically a heavy soft bait rod I got online internationally.
Also Rapala XRaps (about 40g) which dive about 1m, can be worked on a heavy soft bait rod. The one I have is rated up to 45g lures, but it costs double the budget mentioned.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 10:55pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'll let you know my secret weapon. 70G/24cm of throbbing soft bait action! No extra weight required. Cheap as chips too!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 10:05am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Are you fishing these as shallow running lures around bait schools, or down deep as well?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 12:01pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mainly just subsurface around bait schools.