Which Braid?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gutlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Braid?
    Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 6:37pm
Gutlocker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been answered, or if in wrong forum...

Just trying to get as much PE6+ braid on a Stella 20000SWB.

Will be targeting marlin from a small Marco 480 so will be following fish around. Also will be used as a back up spin jigging rig for XL kingies (Tapotupotu/3 kings/etc), however have another setup dedicated for this, so predominantly trolling

Although multi colour would be good, its not a priority.

Cheers :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 7:16pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey mate I got around 350 metres of YGK Ultra Jigman WX8 PE8 braid on my Stella 20000 so you'd likely get 400 plus of PE6 on yours.

Probably just enough for a stripey in a small boat I'd imagine, just got be quick to get the gear in o chase it.

Realllllly good braid, multi coloured, very stong, thin, durable, super reliable ( haven't snapped the braid once only the heavy mono and fluoro leaders attached to it) and it casts and jigs well.

I personally won't go any less than PE8 but I'm sure the PE6 would take some serious pressure to break.

It is fairly expensive but well worth it.

The Suffix 832 is really good bang for buck too.

By the way which Marco model do you have and how does it go? Looking at test driving a 480 thresher dory soon.

Cheers Johnny
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gutlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 7:55pm
Gutlocker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers Johnny, I have YGK jigman oddport PE8 on a stella 10k with a 16k nature boys spool, it’s definitely hard to break! Haven’t found larger qty spool with it though. Where did you get it from?

The boat is an early 90’s GR490. Which (according to the guys at Marco) is similar to a 480 thresher, except 100mm narrower. The dory thresher is another 200mm wider than the thresher.

We put a new 50hp Mercury on it. Goes great, most launch at Piha.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 8:03pm
Platinum
Platinum

Oh sweet must be a good hull then if you're using it out the west coast.

Ok in moderate chop?

The guys at rod and reel in Newmarket have it in 100 metre spools most of the time and the are awesome to deal with. A guy going by the name of Chris W on here can get it too (jigging guru Chis Wong).

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gutlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 8:21pm
Gutlocker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah it’s fine in moderate chop. Not a very deep v so does slap a bit, all in all Great boat for the size and weight..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 8:24pm
Platinum
Platinum

Sweet as good to know. Obviously raises nice fish too bloody good catch 🖒
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 9:53pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Tasline is one of the best braid around and very thin for its breaking strain. Message me for a great dealWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz