new guides on kilwell jellytip

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nawfland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new guides on kilwell jellytip
    Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 8:21pm
Nawfland View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello

My grandad just gave me a kilwell jelly tip 15-24kg 7'3 jig spin pink tip. The guides are a bit past it. Is it worth getting new ones put on? And where is a good place to get them done? I live in Whangarei.

He also gave me a penn 45 gls. Thought the two might be a good live bait rod for of the rocks.

Thoughts on the rod and reel?

Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 8:21am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think the new owners of Offshore Rods are in Whangarei?
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Billfish2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 1:23pm
Billfish2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Go see the guys at Warren Hay Marine. They'll sort it out for you.

As for is it worth getting new guides, I would say yes good rod. and It would have some Sentimental value. being your Grand fathers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nawfland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 1:40pm
Nawfland View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sweet. I'll give both places a call thanks a lot. Anyone have any experience with the penn 45 gls? Similar to a tld 25?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 1:47pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Be good to see how the shops repair looks, I just carried out the same repair to some rods of me own.

I just watched this american fella....

And purchased these from trade me, I did use epoxy to glue em on, they seem solid as and it was not hard to do at all. It does look "factory" but saved me throwing out a $250 rod.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:02am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The best way to make a rod wrapper on the cheap (freeish) is to ....
1) buy a 24 box of beer.Remove beer and place into fridge
2) Cut 2 notches, one on each side of the opening of the box for the rod to sit into.
3) Get bible off the shelf and blow dust off it.
4) Put bible into box and run thread through the pages close to the spine and up to the rod sitting in the notches. 
5) You can adjust the tension on the thread by moving the thread deeper into the book. 
6) Do all the tread wrapping then apply the epoxy. 
7) turn the rod 125 deg starting every 30 sec for 5 min, the every minute for 10 min then every 5 min for 30 min then every 10 min for a couple of hours.  by the time you have finished drinking all the beer the rod will be perfect. 

I have seen some amazing rods build using this method. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 10:21pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I did exactly that with a jelly tip 15-24 and my pink panthers 10-15 kg......the original Rocky rods........Put fuji alconites on all of them.....superb.
It is also a dual spine(Bi sexual)....so she goes both ways.....
would make an excellent stick bait rod as it has a softer tip section and she bends over like a hot chick.......taking the load off your back.......I regret i gave mine to a mate(mint) and the prick sold it.ConfusedConfused

Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 10:44pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fuji alconites on this beauty.

Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 11:32am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold