Taupo Trout Size

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Good Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taupo Trout Size
    Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 5:30pm
Good Brother View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just a note from a recent weekend on the Tongariro. My first visit to Taupo for the winter. Was very pleasantly surprised to find the average size even better than last year, and that had been the best for over a decade.

Was skunked by a number of powerful fresh run fish and the average size of fish landed would have been 4 - 4.5 pds.

Biggest was about a 7pd Brown, smallest was a little 2pd Rainbow.

Only physically weighed two fish, both rainbow hens of 5.5pds.
(Yes, net weight is accurate. Yes I am fairly accurate in my weight estimates of unweighed fish.  I have been playing this game for a while and catch a reasonable number of fish.)

I don't know if I lucked out and ran into pods of bigger fish and others have actually been finding the fish smaller than that. Or if indeed they are bigger again this year for everyone.

Would be interested to hear how others have been going.

Cheers
Duncan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 5:57pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mate is heading down next week so will see what he finds. To busy to join hum unfortunately.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 6:14pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I fished it a few weeks back, nothing great size wise, usual 3-4lb fish and one solid 6lber. Seems the better fish are often in the reaches below the SH1 bridge, but I'd rather take less fish than that bit of water any day!
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fergie82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 7:37pm
fergie82 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was down at the weekend but my fishing was limited to 60-90 mins at a time as I was there with the family. I caught plenty of fish but most were in the 2-3lb range and lacking a bit of condition. Maybe if I’d had a bit more time I wouldve found the bigger fish but I was quite happy getting a few small ones in the limited time I had.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chad51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 8:26am
Chad51 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was there a few weeks ago....before they had all the rain. The river was really low and clear. Made the fishing tough for everyone i think. Having said that...the fish i did catch were nice. Most of my fish came from the faster water so actually landing them was tough. Lost more than i caught put it than way. Still bloody good fun though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cheeko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 11:11pm
Cheeko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Seems to be a mixture of size brackets this year. Seems to be quite a few smaller fish in the 2,5-3.5lb range but I have had a couple good fish over 5lbs and in great condition and last year I didn't weigh any that were over 5lb (rainbows that is). Has been some great fishing of late with some good runs coming through. Happy days
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 12:15pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree, great fishing at the moment. Nothing big, but all nice silver fish. Great fun on the 3 weight LOL
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 8:48am
Fishwhisperer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Follow up from the earlier report.

Just got back from another long weekend in Turangi and it looks like I may have just got lucky last time with the average size of 4-4.5 pds.

This time I would say they averaged 3-3.5pds. Noticeably bigger fish were taken, the best over 5pds but most were in the 3-3.5pd range.
Still considerably better than much of the last 10 years but not as good as last time.

More research is needed Smile

Cheers
Duncan