Aniseed as a Fish Attractant

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JohnnyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aniseed as a Fish Attractant
    Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 9:28pm
JohnnyR View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've just come back from Australia where I saw burley being sold impregnated with aniseed as a fish attractant.
I haven't seen this in NZ. Has anyone tried it here? I've also heard of fennel being used which I guess has a similar smell to aniseed.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 11:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Back in the day.. going backto 50s / to early 70s.. anisseed acka bait soaked in ozo...was occassionaly used.
 From memory, from back in those days aniseed was illegel to use .. hence the bottle of ozo..
 As to working.. dont know.
We gave it try in early to mis 70s.. pre Quoto , pree 200 mile limts when off shore factory ship ringed our coasts, decimated our rec fishing.. the fishing was so bad never seemed to make a difference to our catch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 8:51pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I remember the old fart next door used to swear by it, he also swore by soaking his baits in petrol as well. wasnt often he didnt catch a decent haul of fish though.

Only really sad fact is i am just about to hit 45,still see myself as young and i am 4 years older than the old fart was at that time.
 And that old fart is still fishing,has switched to salted baits instead.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 7:08am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Grandfather swore by liver soaked in kerosene.
Wouldnt use ouzo now days the price of it,waste of good ouzo,afradite ouzo n coke yum.

We tried to buy aniseed back in the late 70s and to no avail from a chemist,he asked what did we want it for,explained possum bait no,you needed a licence /permit.closest we got was aniseed balls.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 9:10am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think a berley called Murphys Brew is flavoured with aniseed. I tried it for a while, but didn't think it much good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 9:19am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I still have a small bottle of aniseed oilfrom way back.
Have tried it in various ways but can't say it makes any difference.

..but now you got me thinking....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 9:19am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Aniseed is used in coarse fishing as a flavour on maggots, corn etc so yes it is a fish attractant. Whether it is any good on salt species who knows but it probably won't hurt to try. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 10:53am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

explained possum bait no,you needed a licence /permit.closest we got was aniseed balls.

yeah that brings back similar memory Thumbs Up

Back then I worked in the Labs for a major food company... the food flavouring/ herb 'aniseed' is not aniseed but star anise...but the greek ozo was from the aniseed plant.. not the star anise.

You can buy star anise herb. used in cooking.. this flavours the same as aniseed, but different chemical and different plant to what aniseed oils come from 
 And this could be why many have tried it and doesnt work...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 10:57am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

The stuff I have is the genuine article, aniseed oil, from a chemist shop.
Is only 10mls but it's mighty strong smelling & goes a long way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 1:20pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Eat loads of asparagus and pee over the side all day, not quite aniseed but apparently asparagus wees does the trick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 2:10pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Raging Bull Raging Bull wrote:

Eat loads of asparagus and pee over the side all day, not quite aniseed but apparently asparagus wees does the trick.

You are supposed to soak your bait in it Dave and then get Boulder to cut it up for you.LOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau