Powerhead for sharks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powerhead for sharks
    Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 12:49pm
Big Kev View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Does anyone carry one of these for sharks if they attack your yak? Are they legal in NZ & do you need a firearms license to buy one?
"The worst day fishing is better than the best day working"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 3:38pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Never had one attack my yak. Seen loads, lost a few fish to them but never had to battle one yakside. LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 8:59pm
matto1234 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

From what I understand they are Legal to own but need a firearms license to purchase ammo for them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:06pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Big Kev Big Kev wrote:

Does anyone carry one of these for sharks if they attack your yak? Are they legal in NZ & do you need a firearms license to buy one?

are you having problems with sharks attacking your 'yak?
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 5:05pm
Big Kev View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That's reassuring, saw a couple of videos on you tube of big sharks agressively attacking Kayaks, apparently they don't like the colour yellow either
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 5:09pm
Big Kev View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No I am still weighing up whether to get another boat or a Yak, I prefer the Yak as I can launch if by myself where as with the boat I needed my son to go with me, I'm retired now so I can pick and choose when I go, just thinking through the safety aspects

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 5:34pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If your worried about safety, the money would be better spent on a high visibility flag. Boats are a clear and present danger, sharks, yeah/nah. It could happen, but you would be very unlucky. And if it did happen, I don't think you would have any time to employ a bang stick.