Shore Micro Jigging - Newbie Help

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hoodlums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shore Micro Jigging - Newbie Help
    Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 3:09am
Hoodlums View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey all really new to shore jigging have had a go with some success but have a lot to learn and want to know. Got a few questions of some can help.

1) There are 2 types of micro jigs. Slow fall and fast fall is this correct? What technique retrieves would you use for fast fall jigs? Also with slow fall jigs can you retrieve them like fast fall jigs, fast if wanting to target aggressive pelagics or you cannot jig a slow fall jig fast?

2) I mainly fish shore land based wharfs, rocks, ledges and breakwalls. What would be a good weight range for where I fish? What weight range for slow fall jigs and fast fall jigs? Would I need a heavier slow fall jig than fast fall jig since slow fall will fall slower? Confused.

3) Curious, can you use metal casting lures that are used for spinning. Can these be used to jig? Or they aren’t design to be jigged? Or are they both the same?

That’s all for now I will add more as we progress. Look forward to all your help.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 4:37pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe better asking this in the shore fishing section. Here's a video that may help -
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 8:52pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi Hoodlums. Lots of questions. I sell all types of jigs and micro jigs are one of my favourite forms of jigging. Done a bit of land based and i seem to find that slow fall jigs work better as they spend more time fluttering to the bottom so look more like an injured fish. Also normally water is shallower closer to land so more hang time is desirable. I like the 10g-20g jigs best as you dont need heavy weights unless you are fishing a fast flowing stretch of water or deep drop off close to shore.
Pays to use a long rod, 9ft at least and i like to keep the jig quite active with short twitches to keep it working
Metal casting lures are more suitable for kahawaii and kingfish as they prefer fast retrieve jigs
high speed spin reel is better too, easy to cast and better with fast retrieve compared to slow retrieve when working the jig
Hope that helps
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SHIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 3:04pm
SHIN View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have just started shore jigging.

Rod would be the difficult kit to get hold of I. New Zealand market Shimano coltsnaiper is the rod you want for shore jigging but like anything that is specialized are expensive. This rod however is over $600. Like kave mention 9 foot some what like soft bait rod that and cast up to 60g be good 100g+ if you are targeting king fish. Reel be high speed spinning reel of 5000 or 6000 size will go.

P.m me if you like to shore jigging we can head out and do some testing and practice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goobernator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 6:31pm
Goobernator View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hunting snd fishing albany, has 3 daiwa shore spartan standard 10ft6 mh jig: 25-90 cast: 20-70 pe#1.5-3 rods in stock as of yesterday. Pretty sure the they were $299.