A fun day setting the Kontiki off Pakiri and Orewa

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A fun day setting the Kontiki off Pakiri and Orewa
    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 5:25pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

With a pretty windy day forecast and Stevo up from Tauranga the plan was to meet up and head up to Pakiri for a couple of Kontiki sets, although saying 20-30knts it was an offshore wind so not to much of a problem fishing from shore. Stevo arrived around 9.00 and we made our way North, it was more of a catch up fish as our last fishing adventure was our Feb far North trip.
I use to fish quite a bit with Stevo before he moved to Tauranga so it's always great to have a catch up fish with him, he had all the gear in his truck so it was a quick pick up on the way through. We arrived around 10.30 and with Stevo needing to be somewhere later around 5 we had a good 4hrs to play with, I brought along the surf caster to as it's always fun to flick out a line in between soaking the tiki. As a kid I remember camping around Te Arai and the Forestry with the old man, surfing and fishing was our way of life, it was great coming back to fish the area after a good 20yrs. Arriving at Pakiri not being able to drive the beach anymore we had to stack a trolley Stevo brought on the way up, this was the start of our little adventure. We made our way out to the water and I could see Te Arai further North, it was nice to be back at such a beautiful location - white sand clear water and real salt air.
We set up beside where the little stream meet the water and after 15-20mins Stevo had dropped the tiki in and heading for the horizon, we weren't to sure how far to set it as sometimes you can go right pass the fish. When in doubt let it out so we let it go out to around 2k, after setting the tiki I casted out the rod and on my first bait I caught a nice big Kahawai. We had a few Dolphins turn up and feed out in front of us which made the day even more special - After an hours soak we started up the winch and as the hooks came in they were un-touched, not even any bait was gone from them apart from one that had a Kahawai on it.
We pretty much got skunked on our first set and we were to unsure what to do, we had some fresh Kahawai for bait and thought we could just give it another shot but having hooks fully baited that Fishermans instinct set in and we packed up and moved camp back to Orewa. It was a little late and with Stevo having to be somewhere we were only going to be able to do a quick soak, we were still able to give it a good 40min soaking and just on dark we fired up the winch once again.
We didn't really mind if we had nothing as it had been a great day, our first couple hooks came in debated there had to be something on there. A couple more hooks on the fish started to appear, 1st Snapper then another and another. They weren't big fish being around 35-45cm but at least they were coming in, it was a mint day all the way to the end.
The white sands of Pakiri was my pick of the day, I don't have to catch fish to enjoy a mint day out fishing - for me it's just great catching up with a fishing mate and today a few fish in the bin at the end for Stevo to take home and enjoy...
Tight lines
REEL KIWI Fishing Fish Whisperer #lovemyfishing