What would trout fishing be without your own flies

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What would trout fishing be without your own flies
    Posted: 13 May 2018 at 8:00pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Gone off nymphing a bit and returned to wet lining nearly all of last winter.    Nothing beats a big hit on the swing.    Or ripping off a 100footer with a shooting head on a wide Tongariro pool.
Been tying nearly 100 of my go to flies for the coming winter
Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 8:34pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Beautiful looking flies , generally like to fish with my own but do buy the odd Royal Wulf as an indicator . Time can be an issue .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 10:17pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great looking boxes, Rainbow. I used to love that sense of anticipation of the weather turning, and pulling out the fly tying gear for the winter ahead.
I'm intrigued by the variegated ones - are they tied with variegated 'marabou', or are you layering different colours of feather?

I like the visual aspect of the nymphing indicator ripping under, and as you know from a couple of posts in the past, the fly tying aspect of imitating various larvae such as the net building caddis on the Tongariro.

But I have certainly seen a few times the effectiveness of swung Woolly Buggers etc in taking a better class of fish from some of the more famous bigger pools on the Big T when 'nymphers' have been thrashing the water without great results.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:11am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi TTK     I like simplicity to get the job done.    The variegated pattern is made with a brown permanent ink felt tip pen after the fly is tied.     Works OK and lasts as long as the fly.    One reason for tying so many is to feed the hungry snags.    On a bad day I have lost well over a dozen.    Problem is one has to get down to the fish and that is where the snags are.    Been fishing mainly with #12lbs leader, which saves some flies in a particular snag that has lots of nylon tangles.    Sometimes I can feel the nylon breaking as I heave on my line.     Trouble is the snag was dead centre in the best lie.
Yes looking forward to casting the long wand again now that I done with jigging for the year.   
Cheers
Herb  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bryce_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 3:48pm
bryce_s View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 4:07pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very clever with the marker pen, Herb. I've seen that done on salt water flies for bonefish etc, but not in trout flies.

i hate those annoyingly positioned snags, but that's probably why the fish are there, sheltering in what they perceive to be a safe, low flow area.

In the old Plank Pool there was a willow half way up that created the perfect nymphing lie, but a cast that was too ambitious would hang up. It initially looked like a take from a 8lber - for about two seconds, then DAMMMMM.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 4:09pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Bryce    I probably should but suspect that the weed guard isn't a stick guard or a rock guard.    A lot of times the fly simply gets jammed between boulders as it swings across.
Last year I used the snags to clean out a fly box loaded with flies I have never used or only used 20 years ago.    I did ok with some strange patterns but when I got onto the Red Setters I started to really catch fish.    Funny that as I have not used Red Setters for years and so have many of my friends.    This once famous fly has almost completely been forgotten.   In fact it was the go to fly for many and because it had an orange body there was a move to ban it because it was imitating roe.    So after I broke off all the old ones I set about tying 30 new ones.    To keep it simple I just palmer the hackle over the orange body.     I also tied some more rabbit streamers in my own way without ribbing.  

Cheers

Herb 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SNOWKIWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 5:00pm
SNOWKIWI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Very nice Rainbow, one of the first fly's that I tried to tie, that, the Hare & Copper, and the Ginger Mick, have accounted for many trout over my years fishing!
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.