Great Whites

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Whites
    Posted: 07 May 2018 at 6:26pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Warnings issued for Northland especially around Houhora, not surprised really its only a matter of time before one of us gets more than a hair raising experience again. Dead
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 7:02pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whats GW speak for - "I love kayaks. Crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle?""Some even come with a toothpick supplied." Evil Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 8:16pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Warnings issued for Northland especially around Houhora, not surprised really its only a matter of time before one of us gets more than a hair raising experience again. Dead

Not looking forward to that day🙀
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 8:20pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Every trip each one of us makes is another trip to our fate LOL 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 8:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good luck guys! They eat bigger boats than kayaks Big smile. Peter Jessup wrote this after hearing Tiny tell the story. The facts are mostly true

www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10381556
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 9:27pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL Besides the sharks, good ol Tiny! How much has come into our fishing technique since that was written. Cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:04pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK heard more about this today, apparently some real big ones have been spotted out up north. Apparently a big Broadbill was bit clean in two by a monster GW of 8m long (even I was like nah LOL) but it is a very reliable source. Any of the northerners heard that one?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:29pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A very reliable source only just hauled a 1.5m snapper away from a 12m GW no photos though They are out there, hear of one around motiti every year. If it wants you it will get you, more chance of winning lotto though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:27pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK heard more about this today, apparently some real big ones have been spotted out up north. Apparently a big Broadbill was bit clean in two by a monster GW of 8m long (even I was like nah LOL) but it is a very reliable source. Any of the northerners heard that one?

8 meter sounds too big for a G.W. Maybe Megalodon still lives.
The source was reliable or was it the sauce that was reliable.Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:28pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL I know DT but someone wins lotto at some point eh.

Just letting out the stories I hear, very second hand by the time they reach me but hey the yak stories are pretty thin on the ground in the section of late.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:33pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Just passing on what I heard. Boaties should not be as concerned as a kayaker eh Tongue

8m is getting to Jaws size eh. Megalodon was 20m and 33 tonnes. 

But remember its NZ all our fish are supersized so if they are 6m in Oz and SA they must be bigger here Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote groovyfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:39pm
groovyfisherman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Don't know about the big ones but had a smallish white in the burley trail off the rocks up north in February last year.
I see lot of bronzies  at this spot but this was the first white I have seen here. It was about the size of a one of the bigger sized bronzies that we see here. Was sure glad I had walked in and not paddled the yak in for access that day.

Managed to keep it around for a while by throwing out chunks of pillies which it would turn around and swim over to and although I don't think it was feeding on the pillie chunks I think it was attracted to the kahawai feeding on them.

It only disappeared when I hooked a king of about 9kg on a live piper and had to deal with this. By the time I had landed and released the king the shark had gone.
Was amazed that it never came and attacked king while fighting it.

It was a really cool experience, and one that I hope to see again one day. Just hope I have walked in again when it happens. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:52pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just passing on what I heard. Boaties should not be as concerned as a kayaker eh Tongue

But remember its NZ all our fish are supersized so if they are 6m in Oz and SA they must be bigger here Wink
Dont doubt you for a moment. Was jokingly thinking sauce as in whisky may have increased the size.  Certain there are G.W out there bigger than we think. We only see a fraction of what lies beneath the sea. 8 meter is quite possible. Now they are protected we may see more of them.

According to the guiness book of records the two biggest G.W caught and measured were.

36 foot (10.97m) Port Fairy South Australia 1870s.

37 foot (11.27 M )  Off New Brunswick 1930s.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:18pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jesus those are huge! And you are correct we really don't see the majority of what lies beneath the waves.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:52pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wow that is huge ! .....I wonder if brutus is still around the whangerei area?
I think the fact you have a healthy fishery helps keep the whites more interested in fish.........In perth and WA.....they are prolific(protected for years).......fish stocks are ****ed and humans are on the menu........keep your stocks healthy is all i can say and hope your great whites take vacations to Aussie because they do massive trips.......even within australia they travel across the southern bight from adelaide way ....all along the coast to Perth and up as far as exmouth.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 6:33am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting stuff on Wikipedia re: size. 

Nothing confirmed much over 6 metres which is big enough anyway!

I'd be relatively happy to see one diving at somewhere like the Poor Knights with good visibility. What I don't want is to bump in to one in Whangarei Harbour where the visibility is often bad and I'm doing my best seal impression! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:11am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just wear a wetsuit... that way they can reattach any limbs that get bitten offLOL

What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 12:40pm
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dont doubt you for a moment. Was jokingly thinking sauce as in whisky may have increased the size.  Certain there are G.W out there bigger than we think. We only see a fraction of what lies beneath the sea. 8 meter is quite possible. Now they are protected we may see more of them.

According to the guiness book of records the two biggest G.W caught and measured were.

36 foot (10.97m) Port Fairy South Australia 1870s.

37 foot (11.27 M )  Off New Brunswick 1930s.

Not such good examples to quote on as the Port Fairy shark turned out to be more of a fairytale when the jaws were examined back in the 70's ,it length was closer to 17 foot.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 3:37pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

8M aye!! Just imagine the fillets Shocked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MuscleMyHustle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 8:25pm
MuscleMyHustle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Haha, gold!